April 2008 issue

Advert

Hmmm, I may be biased here due to having the first of two articles in this issue, but "Editorial" hardly closed with a vote of support.

I know he said he liked electric flight -as well as being a confirmed "petrol head"..... but to suggest that

" the clubs and societiesof this fair isle are not adopting electric flight in in the numbers that the trade might have us believe" is surely a bit off the mark? If this was so, then how come companies such as BRC and Flying wings .co.uk etc are reporting such tremendous sales ??

I know for a fact that my particular club is definately seeing a rapid move toward electric flight - even by some long standing barnstormer types

I am not saying that they will all convert totally overnight - neither will I for that matter...but trust me, people are taking it up, and I am sorry to say it, but I did not feel the opening remarks from the editor of a model magazine that actually includes the word "electronics" in its title..... has got it right.

I am off to sulk now ( and I see "the article graphics" didnt change as I requested David...double sulk )

I am actually now spending the morning with a petrol head club member who is visiting me at home for the morning to purchase some leccy stuff for his venture in to the leccy flight world - & NO I didnt put him up to it !

Thanks Tim.

Graham is his own man of course and I guess just wanted to express his opinion. Personally I think in fact that there's a hugh benefit to the electric wave (if you will) as many of the good kits are now i.c. AND electric for instance, just about anything from Hangar 9 and anything new from Seagull is now a dual kit that can accomodate either power plant right out of the box, other manufacturers will follow suit and this is the way forward so that flyers have a choice and don't have to buy electric only models. It must be good for the manufacturer too as it can only help reduce overheads in production.

The newer laser-cut electric models have become so light that in fact this method of construction is now being backwards engineered for i.c. and in doing so enabling i.c. models to gain greater performance. The NPM range being the first that comes to mind in this respect.  

It's funny but I haven't started an i.c. engine for about 9 months now and folks have started to label me an electric flyer, yet I went down the field yesterday and found myself thinking that I'd quite like a larger 70" span i.c. aerobat, having watch a few flying during the morning.

In some ways with Graham pretty much confirmed as an i.c. flyer and with me now re-baptised 'electric' we can ensure the mag' hopefully doesn't lean one way or another too much and gives a good all-round coverage, which is what we would like.  

Sorry we couldn't shoot alternative pictures for you as you would have preferred, the article was already designed and time was against us on that one.  Good article non the less

I think the word is "electrickery" Timbo. I as a confirmed petrol tank sniffer do do a little electric stuff mainly with Shockflyers on a calm summer's evening or indoor, however one remark that really gets up my nose from "some" electric flyers (not Timbo I hasten to add) is that they unlike us disgusting petrol heads cause no pollution. It just happens that their pollution occurs either at the local power station or the tailpipe of their car depending on their mode of charging. So if one day you end up sharing a flying field with me please do not try and force this old chestnut down my gullet it gets stuck in my craw 

After the excitement of the Sunderland Flying Boat on the cover of the March issue, can you imagine my dissappointment that there was no article in the April issue?  Why do that?  How long am I going to have to wait to read the article and get my hands on the plan and some CNC cut balsa and ply?

i know what you mean andrew. the taking off from water feature was the same, had a hint of it  then had to wait 6 months + i think for it, and to rub salt into it the editorial picture changed to ed holding his arc cessna  complete with floats .

april issue very good as usual though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been trying to access the website quoted by David Ashby in his article on Airbrushing. It would appear that the quoted web address is wrong. "airbrushin.co.uk" is a web domain thatis up for sale and encompasses a number of "arty" web sites. The correct web address for The Airbrush CoLtd is "airbrushes.com"

The article was very useful and informative. Thank you for undertaking the research.