Flaperons or Crow Braking?

Advert

Funny that this post came up.
Yesterday I was flying my Banana which is equipped with full crow and also my Speedo which only has spoilerons.
I found that the Banana near enough came to walking pace on finals whilst the Speedo was still carrying a bit of speed.

I expect others will follow on with this in more detail but in my opinion crow is the way to go if your model is equipped with flaps and your radio the ability to mix.

Phil

Edited By Big Phil on 26/08/2013 14:37:32

The choice basically comes down to whether flaps are fitted or not, Ron.

If they are not, then flaperons or spoilerons are the only option. As most gliders have fairly high aspect-ratio wings, they can have a tendency to tip-stall. Lowering the ailerons as flaperons tends to increase the likelihood of a tip-stall, so if you go this way, you need to be aware of that risk. .

I prefer to raise the ailerons instead, as 'spoilerons'. This has the advantage of reducing the likelihood of a tip-tall and, on my Easyglider, for example, it increases the descent rate quite significantly. You'll probably need some elevator compensation dialled in - the amount should be established at height.....smile

On a wing fitted with flaps, you increase the options significantly, particularly if the surfaces have individual servos on separate channels. If you have sufficient channels on the radio, you can run flaps, camber, reflex, coupled flaps/aileron as well as crow.

I have crow set on my P2000 and Salto and it certainly has a greater braking effect than spoilerons. Roughly speaking, trimmed for level flight, with full crow I see a descent angle of about 45 degrees, so it's possible to place the model on approach with a fair degree of certainty about the landing spot.

What model are you considering?

Pete

ps I see Phil's said it all - in six lines....teeth 2

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 26/08/2013 14:42:28

Ah, you might have a problem with a 4-channel Rx. You'll need a channel each for throttle, rudder and elevator and that will leave just one for aileron, putting the servos on a Y lead. You'll not have access to either flaperons/spoilerons or aileron differential, although differential could be induced mechanically.

You'll need a 6-channel Rx to add the functions we've discussed.

Pete.