Octocopter/ Drone crash in the media

Advert

Lets put some perspective on this before the scaremongers make Mt. Everest out of a few kg. of carbon fibre and some sensational reporting.

1. From studying the video and the text, nobody was seriously hurt and all walked away albeit with sore heads

2. People going to this type of event must have already accepted some risks as the bulls are NOT Rc controlled and can (and do) do very unpredictable things..

3. I suggest that the multi copter was NOT being flown by your average hobbyist but by a professional outfit to get sought after footage for advertising etc.by overflying hundreds(maybe thousands) of people and is very different to a hobbyist flying at the patch or even around deserted monuments - I would hope that any hobbyist would assess all risks and not attempt anything like this.

4. Why do the 'organisers' not know who was filming at the event? - is it to avoid litigation?

For the above reasons I doubt if the 'Fun Police' would even link this to our hobby.

It may of course result in a tightening of rules and regulations on flying drones over peoples heads but this is surely only reinforcing what common sense should dictate is a no-go area?

Just musing, Skippy

p.s. - BEB - this video has trending on several boards so it's no secret.

Edited By SkippyUK on 27/08/2013 18:31:38

Have you noticed that when they want to sound derogotry about them, theyre called "drones" to conjure up images of spying or killing machines let loose uncontrolled around the sky, yet when there is a story of an accomplishment or something to be celebrated about them then theyre described properly "multicopters, UAV`s" etc

I watched a news report on RT last week about a UAV convention in America and apparently there was even signs around the convention saying "They`re UAV`s, dont say drones" etc, and if the reporter did say it she was corrected immediately and a couple of people even stopped the interview when she asked why they couldnt be called drones

We fly with such strict guidelines to minimalise the potential for this to happen, for instance we never fly over anyone and if we are flying at say a marathon or golf event we use the camera's zoom to look closer, i would never risk flying over a crowd as you never know what might fail. These people where lucky but this is just the start. Its like when RTF aircraft became readily available, people where buying them and just attempting to fly, things got damaged and people got hurt! Its calming down now though. But now quad's/octo's ect are becoming available in RTF form we are seeing more trouble with them. This will die down to though. And yes the word DRONE frightens alot of people, but its almost the same as the invention of the light bulb, all where initially feared of it but now we love it and cant live without it

Happy Flying

A drowning swimmer certainly trashes about in the water and I think this is just another case of the anti FPV-ers found something to thrash about again.

As mentioned above work within the rules but even those rules are a bit daft in my humble opinion.

I had to laugh the other day when someone flying FPV asked his 'spotter' if he was ok. The spotter commented he hadn't seen the quad for a fair few minutes!devil

Personally i think you all calling them by the wrong name, they are FPV Remote controlled aircraft. Not UAV's because a UAV operates completely in its own and so do Drones by my understanding.

I don't see why the word drone should frighten anyone any more than the word tornado, F16, harrier or anything else that flies that can blow stuff to bits. Oil should be the scarey word coz that seems to cause stuff to be blown to bits in my opinion.

An aircraft could...well so could a freeflight aircraft or traditional RC plane or for that matter the control line flyer could trip, fall slip whatever.

Technology improves and amazingly with it stuff get safer no matter what they thrash about.

No offence intended, happy flying.

OK technical descriptions then:

UAV - Unmanned ariel Vehicle, technically all RC aircraft are UAV's - the pilot is not on board.

Drone - A specific type of UAV which while normall piloted (at the moment) can act to fly to preset waypoints, or via a pre-programmed set of instructions.

UCV - Unmanned Combat Vehicle - a UAV fitted with/for weapon systems.

Posted by Olly P on 04/09/2013 14:16:08:

OK technical descriptions then:

UAV - Unmanned ariel Vehicle, technically all RC aircraft are UAV's - the pilot is not on board.

Drone - A specific type of UAV which while normall piloted (at the moment) can act to fly to preset waypoints, or via a pre-programmed set of instructions.

UCV - Unmanned Combat Vehicle - a UAV fitted with/for weapon systems.

what are the ones that can search for and identify targets and then engage them all automatically without any input from a remote pilot. And I dont mean the HK's from terminator

Edited By Phil 9 on 04/09/2013 15:14:29

Phil - don't exist AFAIK.

The closest ones I am aware of are remote piloted by sat link - the 'pilot' is sat in the mohave desert. Often this type will be programmed to 'auto-pilot' via a series of waypoints and the pilot controlls the strike element. To have completely automated strike systems is something the vast majority of friendly ground commanders would NOT be comfortable with.....

However the correct term for them would be something like autominous combat vehicle

• 4 months later...

IIRC, the CAA calls all RC aircraft be they RC heli / RC fixed wing / UAVs / SUASs / UCVs / CL or whatever... Aircraft; Because that is what they are regardless of type or use for commercial or hobby purposes. It is an aircraft, and the operator is they guy in charge, semi-autonomous or otherwise.

I was told this by one of the CAA people at an commercial purposes SUAS conference.

It looks like this thread has strayed from the original post. Shrug.

But it's not 'drone' is it? It's an rc quad copter. A drone is something with a pre programmed flight and or autonomous abilities. So this seems to have been a privately owned machine suffering a random human error from either a bad set up or pilot.

Danm media misused the word 'gay' years ago and now it no longer means bright or cheerful. Drone is effectively a military item at the moment. In my opinion.

Edited By Chuck Plains on 21/01/2014 17:52:39

Edited By Chuck Plains on 21/01/2014 17:52:53

Edited for language

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/01/2014 18:04:35

Nobody likes the term Drone, military or civilian.....apart from the media that is......the term dates back to Target Drones from the 20th Century and bears no relation to 21st Century UAV's or their capability's.

The simple fact of the matter is that a pilot is in control or is able to take control of the flight/mission at all times.....those are the rules......Skynet it isn't.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Chuck Plains on 21/01/2014 17:48:58:

Danm media misused the word 'gay' years ago and now it no longer means bright or cheerful. Drone is effectively a military item at the moment. In my opinion.

There are a lot of people out there who are gay, as well as bright and cheerful. There again there are a lot of bright and cheerful people who are not gay. If I remember rightly (it was a long time ago) drone is something that applied mainly to teachers, politicians and priests. Although it has been noted to also be a "parent" thing.

wink