FIRST GO..............

Ade Eades (Eadsie)

STOP PRESS ~ STOP PRESS ~ STOP PRESS

IT FLIES!!! more importantly....so can i!!!!!

Lanyu T-45 64mm EDF (electric ducted fan) Hawk Jet      this is it

I put one of my 2.2maH batts in it and pushed it right back as far as it would go, as previous attempt to launch was horrid...nose dived straight away i'd say 2" further back (darn it, should have measured it) that was yesterday.....today i powered-up the jet, checked all the controls, did range check......and when i had plucked-up the courage pointed it into the rather strong wind.....

FLING.........THROTTLE..........BOTH NERVOUS THUMBS BACK ON BOTH STICKS.........GLIDE.........BIG GUST.........MORE THROTTLE........A BIG RUSH FROM THE POWER UNIT........SOAR.........BIT OF ELEVATOR........BIT OF LEFT HAND AILERON TO BRING IT AROUND,......W.O.W I'TS FLYING......More importantly.....I'M FLYING!!!!! im a complete novice.....I'm shaking typing this lol.........WOW WHAT A RUSH!!!

I kept her / it up about 3 / 4 mins (felt like forever!!) i flew it around in large circuits not realising actually how wide the circuits were!!! until i got in and the fiancee said 'Wow you were flying right over the house" i was far-off in the field and it looked like the jet was within the boundaries of the field.....i'm still shaking lol.....

After about 8 (i guess) large circuits of half throttle circuits i headed her into the wind at the far end of the field and flew toward me throttling back steadly all the while.....she came in beautifully (why was no one filming grrr lol) and just as i was going to cut the throttle i did the stupidist thing in the world.....THOUGHT JUST ONE MORE GO!!! and went all-out full throttle..........wooshhhhh.........she went verticle and climbed with relative ease......i know nothing about EDF's or flying persay....but i gotta say....i was relaxing by now and really starting to enjoy myself......i was still nervous......but kinda focused......i did another low level fly-pass and thought this plane/jet looks just superb as it was going at a fair rate of knotts, again i pulled up, vertically, up, up she went, i killed the power......she twisted in the strong wind and pointed downward.....power on......zoommmmmmm straight down then i leveled-off with plenty of height still (it was my first time actually flying a EDF (my only other plane is a micro EPO parkzone sukhoi 26m)) Quite a difference i'd say lol anywho i turned her steadily to come back towards me and dumb thumbed it.....she went-in from about 12 ft, no throttle so damage is light and repairable.

WOW!!! ive just about calmed down now LOL WHAT A BLAST!!!

I'm one very Happy Chappie smileythumbs up

Ade......over and out!!!

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:52:50

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:55:02

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:56:38

Advert

Hi Adrian!

Verrrreeeeee funny, perhaps you have missed your true vocation in life up, until now that is..... perhaps you should re-write Fifty Shades of Grey to make it more exciting for the male fraternity...

You do realise that you will be getting a tutorial from people in ivory towers on the sanity of your actions..... and, no doubt, one from the Health & Safety Executive as well....LOL!!!

With my heart condition I think it might be best if I give EDF's a wide berth....

Thanks for getting my day off to a bright start!!!

Regards

Bob

p.s.where is it you live so I can give it a wide berth....Ha!

Posted by Bob Archbold on 30/08/2013 06:13:44:

Hi Adrian!

Verrrreeeeee funny, perhaps you have missed your true vocation in life up, until now that is..... perhaps you should re-write Fifty Shades of Grey to make it more exciting for the male fraternity...

You do realise that you will be getting a tutorial from people in ivory towers on the sanity of your actions..... and, no doubt, one from the Health & Safety Executive as well....LOL!!!

With my heart condition I think it might be best if I give EDF's a wide berth....

Thanks for getting my day off to a bright start!!!

Regards

Bob

p.s.where is it you live so I can give it a wide berth....Ha!

Superb Bob Lol, and thank you smiley

i'm very mechaniciy minded and like a challenge.....this is the craziest thing i have ever done (without the 'Aid' of alcohol lol) to be honest.....i'm still on a 'High' now 12 hours after the event! buzzin' lol, and yes, people will read the post and say "what? he is mad....what if..bla bla...on his own, never had a real flight bla etc..."

Yes you are right for thinking this as well......I DID!....Yes it 'went-in' and the front of the jet looks more like Barry Manilow now lol (Google it kids) but it was totally worth it and i would do it again in an instant...in fact...as the glue has dried, i will be giving it another Go either this evening or deffo tomorrow. I will get some video footage (on my mobile phone) it won't be me filming, it will be my daughter....im not THAT good!!! lol

This Hobby is BRILLIANT!!!! (Fast-Show stylie)

Kind Regards Ade

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 30/08/2013 07:25:47

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 30/08/2013 07:26:47

Posted by ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:32:51
:....THOUGHT JUST ONE MORE GO!!!

I think we've all been there.

I often set 'tasks' for myself when flying, it might be 3 spot landings on a target area, 3 loops which are round with entry and exit at the same level, 3 knife edge passes over a certain distacne while maintaining height level ...my tasks are usually about consistency - being able to repeat manouvres ...

However even when I have acheived the 'task' I have set myself there is always the "...THOUGHT JUST ONE MORE GO!!!" and how often is it that this is when something goes wrong crying 2crying 2crying 2

Posted by ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:32:51:

STOP PRESS ~ STOP PRESS ~ STOP PRESS

IT FLIES!!! more importantly....so can i!!!!!

Lanyu T-45 64mm EDF (electric ducted fan) Hawk Jet this is it

I put one of my 2.2maH batts in it and pushed it right back as far as it would go, as previous attempt to launch was horrid...nose dived straight away i'd say 2" further back (darn it, should have measured it) that was yesterday.....today i powered-up the jet, checked all the controls, did range check......and when i had plucked-up the courage pointed it into the rather strong wind.....

FLING.........THROTTLE..........BOTH NERVOUS THUMBS BACK ON BOTH STICKS.........GLIDE.........BIG GUST.........MORE THROTTLE........A BIG RUSH FROM THE POWER UNIT........SOAR.........BIT OF ELEVATOR........BIT OF LEFT HAND AILERON TO BRING IT AROUND,......W.O.W I'TS FLYING......More importantly.....I'M FLYING!!!!! im a complete novice.....I'm shaking typing this lol.........WOW WHAT A RUSH!!!

I kept her / it up about 3 / 4 mins (felt like forever!!) i flew it around in large circuits not realising actually how wide the circuits were!!! until i got in and the fiancee said 'Wow you were flying right over the house" i was far-off in the field and it looked like the jet was within the boundaries of the field.....i'm still shaking lol.....

After about 8 (i guess) large circuits of half throttle circuits i headed her into the wind at the far end of the field and flew toward me throttling back steadly all the while.....she came in beautifully (why was no one filming grrr lol) and just as i was going to cut the throttle i did the stupidist thing in the world.....THOUGHT JUST ONE MORE GO!!! and went all-out full throttle..........wooshhhhh.........she went verticle and climbed with relative ease......i know nothing about EDF's or flying persay....but i gotta say....i was relaxing by now and really starting to enjoy myself......i was still nervous......but kinda focused......i did another low level fly-pass and thought this plane/jet looks just superb as it was going at a fair rate of knotts, again i pulled up, vertically, up, up she went, i killed the power......she twisted in the strong wind and pointed downward.....power on......zoommmmmmm straight down then i leveled-off with plenty of height still (it was my first time actually flying a EDF (my only other plane is a micro EPO parkzone sukhoi 26m)) Quite a difference i'd say lol anywho i turned her steadily to come back towards me and dumb thumbed it.....she went-in from about 12 ft, no throttle so damage is light and repairable.

WOW!!! ive just about calmed down now LOL WHAT A BLAST!!!

I'm one very Happy Chappie smileythumbs up

Ade......over and out!!!

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:52:50

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:55:02

Edited By ADRIAN EADES on 29/08/2013 20:56:38

Ade, what a brilliant write up so glad you enjoyed it and yourself in the true nature of the early first flying pioneers who pushed the boundaries to make flying what we enjoy today .

Paul

Don't know why your being so negative Bob!

So long as Ade is in a nice big field where he can hurt no one but himself and damage nothing except he's own property what's the problem? Of course if those things are not the case - then yes, there's a problem - a big problem! But let's assume that's not the case. smile

Now, would Ade's EDF jet stand a better chance of surviving his enthusiasm if he had a more experienced flier standing alongside him to help him? Yes, undoubtedly.

Would Ade's EDF jet fair better on a nicely mown strip of a club? Yes, undoubtedly.

Would Ade learn to fly faster and better with some instruction? Again I think the answer is "yes".

But must Ade do these things? There the answer is most definitely "no". They might, in my view and that of many others, be a good idea and I think lead to even more enjoyment for Ade (though I'm not sure Ade could physically cope with much more enjoyment without blowing up! wink 2) But he doesn't have to do them and I don't think anyone on here would try to make him. They might encourage him to do them - but that's a different issue! And they might get a bit excited if they were to find out that all this was taking place in the local kiddies playground! Which I'm sure its not,...tell me its not Ade! But its a free country - still, just - so he's free to fly his model how he wants and where he wants within the bounds of reason and the law.

No mate you go and enjoy yourself! As you say this is fantastic hobby and it wide enough for all sorts,.....you're a big boy now and what risks you take with yourself and your kit is no one's business but your own. But always remember,....the same is not true of extending those risks to third parties.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/08/2013 13:31:47

Thank you for the replies, yes the field is away from others so no harm can be done if the worst happens

i'm a member of the BMFA so insurance is covered, i'm very responsible (i like to think so)

I would just LOVE to join a club and assist others and learn for myself, BUT i do shift work, i am on call, i have children to visit etc....when i do actually get 5 mins to myself its usually raining lol....so even if i did join a club, i would rarely be able to get to site on a given day .....i have to grab some airtime as and when i can....hence the apparent lack of morrals to my 'Hap-hazard' maiden flight. i have to GO when i can, its such a shame.

Hi Ade - great stuff - good field and BMFA insurance thumbs up

regarding pictures have a look here where you will find instructions. Actually that section of the forum has instructions on all sorts of things like inserting videos and hyperlinks to other sites or pages etc.

BEB

PS - tut tut! Now if you're going to be a aeromodeller you're going to have to learn to use the right tools for the job. Everybody knows that for nose splints on an EDF model you use McDonalds wooden coffee stirrers - not pencils! Get a grip man! wink 2

Adrian

If you are going to fly foam I fear you are going to have to learn how to fix it. wink 2

In general that means identifying the right glue which in most cases will be as strong as the original foam.

I work on the principle that if the original had no reinforcing then any repair doesn't either - even if that means cutting some foam out and replacing it.

Of course eventually something like a fuselage will need to be completely replaced but as a rule of thumb I like to achieve 5 major repairs before I give up on it! smile o

Nothing wrong with Sooty and Sweep - Matthew Corbett actually lives nearby!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 31/08/2013 19:36:51

Hi Ade,

seriously there are lots of tricks to mending foam. Think carefully before deciding your fuselage is beyond repair!

The first problem is that foam often compresses on impact - so the bits you are left with don't fit together too well. There is a good solution to this - hot water, very hot! submerge the crumpled parts of the bits in very hot (just short of boiling) water for a few moments. The air trapped in the cells of the foam expands and hey presto it recovers its shape!

Once you have both bits the right shape rejoining them is a lot easier! Simon states he doesn't use reinforcement unless it was there before - and I believe him - but I also know that Simon is a real expert where foam is concerned - he uses it a lot and brilliantly to build the most amazing models. Now that sort of expertise normally I would listen to carefully - but also he so much better at foam than I am he can make loads of replacement bits I'd struggle with. So I do use reiniforcement in my repairs. I joked about coffee stirrers but the really useful reinforcement items are cocktail sticks - seriously. Assemble your repair with a couple of cocktail sticks stuck in one half and across into the other - right inside the repair - very effective.

Next glue. Be very careful with CA's (superglues) they attack a lot of foams. If you are tempted to use it - test it first on an inconspicuous bit. People use lots of different glues for foam - and I'm sure others will recommend good ones that work for them. Personally I use 5 min epoxy on foam repairs. A lot folks don't agree with that I know, as can be heavy and isn't really designed for use with floam - but it works for me!

Don't give up on the fuselage nose - they always look much worse than they are - honestly. If you are a subscriber to the mag, and so can access didital back copies on here, then Nigel Hawes did a couple of really good articles about a year ago (you'll have to look for them) on mending a foam EDF jet. Good stuff - definitely worth reading.

BEB

Cheers Chaps for the EPO repair info, great ideas i will use to try to get it back together.....i will need a new fuse at some point and my search so far has not returned any dividends....the two suppliers i have managed to find are both out of stock, ive messaged both with no replies....time will tell.

So its back into the hot water bucket tomorrow lol.....and get the cocktail sticks ready....i use 'UHU POR' seems ok, my problem is that there are so many (now) little splits, cracks, compressions that the whole front is now hanging off....everything foward of the Air Intakes. so i have a rather large puzzle to take appart and re-assemble with sticks and glue lol.......smile p never say die!!!

Regards Ade.

This is a great thread containing all the things I look for on this forum.

Someone going it alone but being responsible and enthusiastically sharing the results.

Others giving encouragement and countering the negatives.

Wise men giving good advice and loads of help.

Brilliant......

Skippy

It is what it is skippy smiley good honest communication.

Here are some shots of my dilema now......looking for a replacement fuse...but until then its out with the scalpel and fix it as best i can...........

This is the damage i'm going to try to fix.........

I Cut off the complete nose section leaving this section 'as-is' pretty much

I put the nose into boiling water and it looks ok ish after its bath so i have inserted some cocktail sticks to add strenght and a layer of contact 'UHU POR' ready for joining.....

I will add more pics when its back together........if its good enough to fly...if its still bent will that affect flight much?

Thanks to the chaps for helping me on my way.....it makes the world go around cool