Thunder Tiger F-130S

cymaz

Dear All

I have a second hand TT F-130s. However, after running for 2 minutes it is steaming hot on the cam cover.

It appears (as the areas are dry) that there is no oil moving into the cam gear box from the main bearing and therefor no oit getting into the valves. There is no oil way. How big should I drill the oil way from the main bearing seat to the cam gear box??

Apart from this main flaw in the manufacture process it is a good clean engine with plenty of compression.

Advert

I have always thought that oil in a model four stroke of the sort we normally use just found its way along the crankshaft and up the push rod tubes by pressure.

I did buy a new Thunder Tiger 54 four stroke and after a few seconds light running it started squeaking. I found that the camshaft area was completely dry and there were scuff marks on the cams. Later on I bought a new TT 91 Fs and took the camshaft side cover off, as a precaution to check before I ran it. That cavity too was completely dry.

Which gave me no confidence at all in the total assembly process of this brand.

Thanks for the repy Chris.......

This is my second TT 130FSdisgust. The other one runs as sweet as a nut but it will be such a pain to get it out of the airframe and dis-assemble it to have a look at the inside, I just wondered if anyone else had come across this. RC Universe Forums have said that the smaller sized 70's have the same problem and some people have drilled a hole.

It can't hurt I suppose

Sounds odd Cymaz....the cams are usually lubed by the oil mist floating around in the crankcase & migrating through the rear bearing into the cam housing.

Where is the breather on this engine? Some 4 strokes have a breather tube from the cam housing to the inlet manifold...this helps move the oil mist through the engine...might this be blocked?

If its a S/H engine might the ring be gummed up......? All oil for the crankcase has to get past the piston ring so if its gummed up & has no end gap oil will have a hard time getting into the crankcase....once oil is in the crankcase I'm sure it will find its way into the cam housing & beyond. If the crankcase is dry then you'll soon be waving goodbye to the big end, little end AND crank bearings.....dont know

• 2 weeks later...