R/C desk pilot

Foxfan

Hi all,

I've just downloaded the above and it works OK, but I hven't got my TX connected and have been flying it on the arrow buttons. However I seem to have no throttle control or rudder.

So far, however, I have flown all the aircraft types and landed them, but I can't turn them off on landing!

The trainer seems to need endless elevator, the depron P51is like a jelly, but the 3D Extra is a beaut to fly!! But why does the glider make strange beeps and roll like you've just shaken it?

Until I get the Tx added, does anyone have any suggestions for a bit more control?

(Apparently it said I was ready for the real thing!)

Cheers,

Martin

Advert

There's not much you can do to try and increase control; the keyboard isn't a realistic replacement as the keyboard is simply on / off whilst input on any Tx is, obviously, variable.

I would, personally, wait for a transmitter then see how you get on. I used the Dynam simulator Tx but on Clearview, it's a very effective and very cheap Tx which uses USB and works on most flight sims.

That's brilliant, Sarge. Thanks.

I'll get the memsahib to order one for me.

Just been getting cocky with the sim and doing Cuban eights, rolls, pylon turns. And even found that the rudder is no. 1 button, so I got some knife edge action on the Extra! And I'm not even a fan of 3D, but now I can see that it might be a bit addictive...help! Still can't find the throttle though!

I'm very encouraged by this as I've never flown an R/C plane beyond a 2 channel PAW screamin' model microlight. Althought that did two perfect flights once the screamer gobbled up its small tank of diesel.

Cheers,

Martin

Alas, the lead which arrived doesn't do anything. When I got my Tx out of its box (yes that's how much I've used it since last year!) I also discovered an earlier lead I'd bought last year for doing the same job. Tried that...nothing.

Both start lighting up when put in the USB port. When plugged in the back of the TX it makes a rising tone of beeps and shows the power LEDS lit up, that's even before the TX is turned on, which struck me as strange. Then, when you turn the power on the Tx another run of beeps and lights. I turn on the sim and nothing happens except it puts up the initials PPM on the menu. But no waggling of sticks affects any of the little slider icons or the aircraft on the sim.

Reading posts on RC Groups, there is some need for "calibration in Windows" whatever that is. Alas, I can't get on RC Groups as they tell me my email addresses are in use, but won't send me a password reset email.

As this forum seems obsessed with Phoenix, I seem to have come to an impasse.

Can anyone help on here, please?

Martin

OK Martin, let's see if I can help at all...

Plugging a lead into the 'buddy box' socket on a transmitter often switches it on automatically, either immediately or when another radio ( or "something" is connected at the other end, so I don't think you need to worry too much about that.

Looking at the specs for desk pilot, it works with "a 4-channel controller compatible with a Windows joystick". So what you need is a lead that connects your transmitter to the USB port and makes it look to the computer as if it's a Windows Joystick. Now that is a little different to the way you connect Phoenix, and probably most other "paid-for" simulators. Phoenix has a special lead and Windows does not "see" it as a normal Windows joystick. So a lead specifically for Phoenix, RealFlight, Reflex etc. is not what you need.

Now, looking at the lead Sarge posted a link to the waters get a bit muddy! It's not at all clear exactly what that lead does. I wouldn't have thought a single lead would cater all the sims it mentions as they most likely have (like Phoenix) their own, different, interfaces. However, the lead is apparently supplied with 4 sims on a CD. I cannot imagine how this could be anything other than hacked, pirated versions of the original sims, so maybe they've been hacked to work with a standard Windows Joystick - if that is what the lead actually is!

If it is indeed a lead that presents your transmitter as a standard Windows Joystick then you should be able to find it and "calibrate" it - ie. set it up. On Windows7, Control Panel... Devices and Printers will give you a list of devices. With the lead plugged-in and tx on, have a look in the "Devices" list for something similar to "USB, 3-axis, 4-button joystick. If you find it then right-click on it, click Game Controller Settings, then Properties. This should bring up the calibration screen. Follow the instructions to calibrate the controller.

Edited By John Privett on 10/09/2013 14:38:09

Thanks, John.

That should get me started! It was the Windows side of things that confused me.

My lead has the following printed on the dongle thingey:- Simulator, XTR, G4, FMS, AeroFly

I assume these are various types of sims. FMS seems to be mentioned on various threads as a similar one to RC deskpilot. I also read somewhere that the Tx should NOT be turned on, although as you said, the buddy lead seems to turn it on anyway. Which position should the buddy switch be in?

Thanks again. I'll be trying this later tonight (after picking doggy up from the groomer's, sorting out son's carport.)...you know how it is.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks, John. I went through that procedure and got some movement. Unconventional, but some. I had elevators, OK, buta ilerons were on the throttle, there was no throttle or discernible rudder!

Then I thought, "well let's just label the functions by which of the right hand sliders the relevant stick moves.

Bingo! It all worked!

I had to put ailerons on channel 7....on my 5 channel Tx, but who cares, it all worked. I find the movements of the surfaces are all a lot smoother, but slower. The aircraft all want to climb sharply, so throttle is much more important and there is a tendency to roll to starb'd which can't be trimmed out, but the trims seem to do little anyway.

But...as a more realistic and slightly trickier version than the buttons one, it's giving me some new practice.

Oh and I landed the Mk XIV Spitfire! But the Vulcn is a lot more difficult than with buttons!

Many thanks again,

Martin