Flight of the Phoenix..........

Well my damaged T-45 EPO Lanyu Hawk Jet has rissen from the ashes and Flown for the second time yes she took to the air first 'Fling' and i managed to get her up to cruise height, i reduced the thrust / throttle to around 50% and it is so well behaved, i flew her around in gentle combination of circuits & figure 8's for about 4 mins then,....i lost it into the sun! frown i managed to pull her outa a crash dive just in time, but she still hit a bit to hard...the repaired glued joints burst open (never as strong again).

I recovered the stricken bird and the nose had taken another battering, it was much worse than the first 'Barry Manilow' i did smile p luckily i had 'bolstered; the battery in with other foam 'off-cut's' so the battery didnt cause more damage. She was bent and twisted but looked 'Air worthy' so i plucked up more courage and launched (the control surfaces were working very well).

Once again she soared aloft and stabalized so again reduced to 50/45% power and kept everything well under control in slow steady circuits, she behaved impecably and was a joy to pilot she stayed up fpr a further 4 / 4.5 mins then i brought her down controlled and steady, i cut the throttle about 100yds from me and she just glided in so sweetly it was awesome, she over ran a bit so a touch of up elevator sorted that and she literally floated down perfectly, well it was perfect to me being a beginner smiley i'm happy, yes there is damage, and this time i think its terminal for this fuse...still, i have another new one just arrived,

The damaged one is very air worthy but looks like its hit a train lol and is beyond repair, not sure weather to still use it whilst learning or to get the new frame ready for action?.....have you flown a 'SHED'? i will take some photo's in a bit, judge for yourself.....would you?

Kind Regards Ade.

Edited By Ade Eades (Eadsie) on 05/09/2013 15:51:30

Advert

Well, if you will insist on starting your flying career several stages down the line....even the RAF and USAF pilots learn to fly a prop trainer first......wink 2

Anyway, is it as bad as this?smile:

Because with a bit of application it was rebuilt to this:

Full story here.....

I know I've trotted these pics out a number of times now to provide a bit of encouragement for those who have piled-in a foamie but, particularly when you're learning, it doesn't make sense to keep writing off models until they've earnt their keep.

Hot water, Gorilla Glue and cocktail sticks plus a bit of ingenuity were all involved - makes you feel as if you're a real modeller, too....teeth 2

Pete

Ade, I know you are enjoying yourself - and I certainly don't want to come across as "the fun police" here. But don't you think you might enjoy it even more if each flight wasn't quite such a lottery as to whether the model is going to survive your endevours?

Can I make a suggestion? Why not try something a liitle more "user friendly" - believe me you can go through an awful lot of money for comparitively little air-time otherwise! A proposal - try something like a Fun Cub - OK I know, not quite as macho as the EDF - but it will teach you how to fly and surely that's the objective and the path to more fun? You see, normally, the idea is for the model to last more than one flight! smile

This is advice born out of a long time spent helping people to learn to fly models Ade - worth thinking about at least, eh mate?

BEB

No problem BEB, i hear ya loud and clear, and yes your right, the thing is, i got the first EPO JET for about £20 and i had all the electrics, so as i have been flying the sukhoi 26m micro plane well enough from day 1 i gave it a go and i know in my heart of hearts that i can fly it (the jet) its when i try to push it into verticles & loops etc (into the sun) when i get into trouble. when i fly it in gentle circuits its fine.

I have spent many hours looking & reading about Cub / Pups and TBH i do like the look of them, and will prob buy one in the not to distant future, simply to get some hours under my belt, the jet is fun, it was pennies and has been a good tool for me, yes its a bit fast.....but it also fly's very well at low revs (where i should stay for a while)

Thanks for the advise, it's all taken in. i do listen and am very grateful for tips / help.

Ade.

Edited By Ade Eades (Eadsie) on 05/09/2013 23:25:10

I don't want to put words in Percy's mouth but I suspect he's saying a bit of both!

The point for me is I firmly believe that the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to learn to fly models is with a good instructor. But,...I recognise the reality of life that not everyone can get access to that and for some folks the process of "teaching themselves" is actually part of the fun.

So, OK, there are going to be guys, like Ade, who for whatever perfectly legitimate reasons of thier own, are going it alone. Now we could just say "don't do that - its not a good idea" or we can say "Ok, you're going to do that, so what advice and help can we give to make what is going to be a difficult path at least a little bit easier" Like many others on here I choose the later approach.

Someone learning with an instructor on a buddy lead can, in my view, get away with a much "hotter" model to learn on than someone going it alone. As an instructor I personally would have no problem taking a beginner up with say a Riot or a WOT4 - certainly not if they were a younger person who learns quickly, with spot on eyesight and good fast reactions. But no way would I recommend such a model for someone learning on their own - it will get away from them very quickly and will end, as Percy says, with a pile of broken model. And I certainly wouldn't even think about receommending a fast EDF!

So what models are good for learning alone? Well I've found two I'd recommend - first the Fun Cub and secondly the HK Bixler. These models are very robust, easy to repair when they do break, they have a low wing loading so they fly quite slowly (giving thinking time!) and they are both very stable.

So for Ade, and anyone else learning alone, get something like that, go to really big field, read as much as you can and with lots of perservance (no pun intended!) you will suceed. I still believe that you'd be better off with an instructor, could cope with a more advanced model and learn faster - but if you are determined to (or have to) "go it alone" then at least with the Fun Cub or the Bixler you will get there, become a safe and competant flier and expose yourself to the minimum risk, both physically and financially, whilst doing so.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/09/2013 17:22:23

A mesage for Bob Archbold:

Bob, I ernestly advise that before you make any further posts on this forum you:

1. Read the PM I sent you last night explaining why I edited your post.

2. Carefully read the forum's Code of Conduct - which you will find here - after which you may understand better; why I took that action that I did, that I was acting fully within my powers as a moderator and that there is no requirement on me to "consult" with you prior to editing a post.

I am sorry I have had to make this public - but if you insist on not reading private messages and then speaking out publically in opposition I have no other option available to me.

If you wish to contact me further on this issue you may do so by PM.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/09/2013 14:15:09