Sebart Wind S IC conversion kits

Thinking seriously of buying a Sebart Wind S and using the commercially available IC conversion kit

to fit their recommended OS 61 FX glow engine. Not interested in Electric flight.

Wondered if anyone out there has any experience of this conversion and any issues that have arisen.

Any help, thoughts or comments will be most welcome

Advert

Les

I have a Sebart Katana 50E that I converted straight away to IC (like you I am an IC fan). I used the conversion kit and have had no problems - the recommended OS 55 was fine but a good friend pointed out that the OS 75AX would fit in no problem. Over 160 flights later I am still delighted with this model....

I have flown the same model (Katana) with a 6S electric set up and whilst it is just fine I much prefer my OS 75 for duration and the general feel...

Therefore if tempted by a Sebart model for conversion I would definitely say 'yes'! The quality is superb and the ic conversion fine but think about / research the possibilities of fitting an OS 75 or larger engine if possible...you wont regret the power increase

I only wish Sebart had easy IC conversion kits for all their models..

Jon

I've just completed a Sebart Wind S 50e build, not flown as yet. The quality was mixed. First what servos, JR recommended will set you back around £ 400 the plane is only £250 max. There is hardly any other servos to match, I've gone with Savox. First problem was the tail tube fell out and was short. Next the manual does not show a rudder pull/pull system although the full system is suppled and is vague on tail area, plus the possible need to modify due to the tailplane being loose. The u/c fairing slots are too narrow, awkward job to remedy, peeling back the covering etc. The wing tube was too tight to fit the wings but not the fuselage, great care had to be taken to fit tube as it jammed tight in the wings while trial fitting. The cowl was too tight to expose the prop driver on the Hacker 50-16 with the cockpit hatch in place. With use of the Dremel all the inside face of the cowl was opened up and the motor packed out 2mm, this does leave a thinner skin.

Now all is together the plane looks very good. I was diappointed that I had such a lot to do to assemble this model when my other Sebart models went together so easy and fly so well.

Interesting, After owning 3 sebart models I would never have thought any of the airframes would have been anywhere near strong enough to handle ic, ok the shark and the sbach 30e are probably pushing it anyway, but even on my Sebart 50E (sbach ish copy) I would have thought it was way too lightly built and very fragile.

• 4 months later...
I converted an Angel S to ic over 6 years ago and its still going strong. I cut the motor box down to allow for the length of the OS55AX then lined it with 1.5mm ply to increase the strength. Don't forget to fuel proof every area of exposed wood! I can also report problems with the Wind S. Tight wing tube, loose tail tube and ailerons hinged out of line all spoilt what should have been a straight forward build. On the subject of servos. Take a look at Align heli servos. With so many different sizes of chopper on the market the range of servos is massive. The prices are very competitive too. One last point. For my money the older Angel S flies better than the Wind. But that's just my humble opinion!

Avoid the Monolog for IC. It was too lightly built for electric, let alone IC.

I've got an ESM Sickle and it's cracking for the money, and built well for an IC conversion (it comes with the IC mount too).  I'm on my second.  The 1st one lasted me 2 years and would have lasted longer, but I stupidly sold it.  It was sold as the Paragon by YT International, but this version seems less swept back u/c, which is good, as it would nose over on longer grass before.

Edited By Simon B on 20/02/2014 22:14:14

Hello Nigel and John.

Thank you for your responses. As you will see, the question was raised

in September last year. In view of the few responses I had, I decided to go the electric route

for which the Wind S wasdesigned.

Thank you for taking the time to respond however, really appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Les

Les

I would suggest you go for the Angel 50 as it's better than the Wind S 50. Also, an OS 55 with a mini pipe will give you the power you need to match an electric set up in that airframe and keep the weight down. I disagree with Simon on the Monolog build. All proper aerobatic aircraft are lightly built but if your patch is rough or you are prone to being late on the round out then no aerobatic airframes will survive for long unless you strengthen the undercarriage mountings.

As regards servos, I'll be posting on that here in the next few days.

Peter

• 5 months later...

I have a Monolog 70 which I have been flying from our grass strip over the last 9 months or so. I use a 5S set up with motor/esc from 4Max (good advice from George) and a 14x7 Xoar wooden propeller. This pulls 1200+ watts and gives almost limitless verticals.

However, I am getting fed up with having to straighten the wire undercarriage, at the least after every flying session.

I also find it more difficult to keep to lines in a cross wind, due to it's large side area, but that may be my flying.

Am looking to replace with a Sebart, either the S50 Wind or Angel, both of which are recommended for 6S power.......but I am happy with my current setup)

Comments???

Terence, it's a common misconception that large side area causes difficulty in flying accurate lines. Once in the air, the aircraft is unaware of a cross wind since it is moving in a block of air. You are standing still so you are aware of the crosswind. The problem with flying accurate lines in cross winds lies with the operator and rarely the airframe IMHO. I have seen people fly to far higher standards of accuracy with the same model as me! I needed to up my game. If you have not already had a look at this thread, you may find it useful in helping you with your aerobatics.

Peter

• 1 month later...

I have now completed the assembly of my Sebart Wind S50Eand test flown it.

Very, very pleased. What a beautiful looking and flying model. Unlike others I have fitted it out with a 5S 4500 (40C) set up using a 4Max 580 kv motor, 70 amp ESC, seperate Rx Nmhi battery and a 14"x7" Xoar wooden propeller.

This set up was transferred from my previous Bondaero Monolog 70 (sold the airframe) and as advised by George of 4Max. It gives an initial peak of 1285 watts which is more than enough for smooth aero's with sustained vertical lines. most of the flying is on 1/2 to 2/3rds power.

The quality of the kit was obvious from opening the box, right through to completion. I had no problems with tailplane spar/ undercarriage fairings/ or other forum reported issues.

The only fiddly bit was fitting the elevator servo's where slimmer fingers than mine would have been helpful.

I have however changed the pushrods, as I don't like the screw connectors, always concerned they are binding, and I elected to fit the rudder servo in the forward fuselage position with a closed loop, due to using a 5 not a 6 cell lipo.

CG set at 200mm. to start with, without any need for ballast.

• 1 month later...