Lipos cells

Frank Dalby - Smith

Any chance the mag could produce an article on the Checking of Lipo's individual cells with a digital meter. It is not clear to me how the various manufactuers cells are wired to the many different types of plugs availble. Are the various in line balencers interchangable with different manufacturers packs????? This information would be most useful.

Advert

Frank. The various lipo packs unfortunately do have different wiring codes and plugs on their balancers. You will however find that ususally, irrespective of colours, one "end" wire will be either negative or positive of the first cell, with subsequent wires being the opposite terminal of the same cell, and so on. Take a typical 3 cell pack -(3s)
lets say the plug has 4 terminals - forget the colours.
start at one end, apply the -ve tip of your M/M and then touch the pin of the connector next to it with the positive probe. You will likely see 4.2V ( assuming pack is charged ). If you see -4.2, reverse the MM leads.
So assuming the polarity of this first celll checking was correct IE first pin was negative, and second was positive, that is the first ( or last it doesnt really matter ) cell of 3. Now...the positive probe of the mm is on the positive terminal of the first cell, AND the negative terminal of the second, so take the mm negative probe, put it on that second pin ( negative of the second cell remember ), move your mm probe to the 3rd connector pin, and this should read 4.2V, meaning that this is the second cell in the pack. Get it ?/
Continue like this, until you have established the series wiring of the pack.
It helps to make a note of things as you go along.
These days, I use just one balancer ( F.Power ) for ALL my packs, and I have cut off the original balance plugs 1 LEAD AT A TIME to avoid shorts - and refitted the matching F/P connector , wired up so as to fit the findings as above. Just do the same procedure for your particular balancer plug requirements. HTH

Make sure the vendor that sells you the balancer can supply an appropriate socket for your battery pack. Alternatively there are now modules which provide multiple-socket adaptor boards to solve this very problem. I would not recommend purchasing lithium battery packs without a balance adaptor of some kind.

Thanks for the advise. I think I have got it but it would be very helpful if you could show a diagram. I think also that it proves the point that a full article in the mag with wiring Diagrams and photos would be most welcome. Iam sure that many others would benift to.

I have tried to upload a diagram as an interpritation of your explination but could not make it work.
safe flying

Frank

• 1 month later...