Four strokes

Hi,

I've been looking at four stroke engines recently and whould like to know if it is worth paying the extra for the pumped version.

In particular, I've been looking at the OS 91 engines.

Does anyone have any experience with or comments on the pumped or non-pumped approach?

Thanks / CS

Advert

CS,

I have the non-pumped version which i would have to say power wise is only as good as my cheaper ASP .91 fs, sorry OS, but if you are looking for more power from this size four-stroke I would recommend the Saito 1.00 (which I also have) it will pull bigger props than the OS and it's cheaper and no messing with pumps.

The only real advantage of having the pump is the ability to mount your tank on or near the models C/G, set against this is the weight and complexity of the pump, you don't get any extra grunt. As YakMad has said the new ASP 4 strokers are great value for money as are the Saitos, often the choice comes down to personal preferance and or brand loyalty, personally I would'nt go the pumped route

CS,

Four-strokes only really suffer dead sticks during the running in phase, once I have run in the engine in I will change the plug and adjust the idle needle, usually set rich from the factory to assit in running in, after this, dead sticks should be very rare so long as there is still fuel in the tank. The real reason for pumps is as Ultymate says is to allow the tank to be mounted on the CG, they are more trouble than they are worth and you will use more fuel, ask any YS owner.

• 2 weeks later...

No I hadn't. I've just ordered a 91FS Surpass 2. I'm hoping its as good as my OS 2 strokes have been.

As a newbie I've only got experience with OS and TT so my purchasing decision was based on the makes I already knew (and my LHS stocked).

I nearly went for the 81alpha but the 91 was cheaper and appears a tad more powerful on paper