Uno-Wot build advice

Martyn Glover

Advert

• 2 months later...

Hello all - i'm a newby here and found this thread from a google search on the Uno Wot. I like the friendliness going on here so signed up!

I have a vintage (25+yr old) 3 channel balsa unbuilt kit that I am resurrecting and was also pondering on which engine would be suitable.

I have a rebuilt OS 70 FS four stroke which I was thinking of - any comments on that as a choice? Failing that I have 2 x OS 32 heli motors, at this point I am assuming that the only difference between a heli and plane motor is the heatsink/fins on the head?

Apologies for hijacking the thread!

Gary F

I had a Uno Wot and loved it. I definately wouldn't put a 70 four stroke in it, it would be way too powerful and needs a large prop so ground clearance might be a problem and even at idle, there would be enough power to keep flying and you probably would never get the thing down (at least in one piece). Not sure about a 32 heli motor, they are specifically tuned for helicopters but that's the limit of my knowledge. My advice would be to get a good .25 or .32. They're about £30 and £35 respectively from hobbyking UK warehouse.

Anyhow it's a great trainer and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Posted by Andy Butler on 07/01/2014 12:32:07:

I had a Uno Wot and loved it. I definately wouldn't put a 70 four stroke in it, it would be way too powerful and needs a large prop so ground clearance might be a problem and even at idle, there would be enough power to keep flying and you probably would never get the thing down (at least in one piece). Not sure about a 32 heli motor, they are specifically tuned for helicopters but that's the limit of my knowledge. My advice would be to get a good .25 or .32. They're about £30 and £35 respectively from hobbyking UK warehouse.

Anyhow it's a great trainer and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I was kinda leaning away from the 70FS - as general opinion is its a bit on the large side (although I thought the general rule with 4's vs 2's was double the capacity = similar performance making the 70FS effectively a 35 hence my initial thought)

I was also considering converting it getting a 4 channel wing for it - any view on 3 vs 4 channel as a trainer? I have been 'flying' on Real Flight sim and tend to use aileron much more than rudder - I don't know if this is unwise or incorrect but I just seem to get on better that way?

Mine flew well on an Irvine 21 but it was a car racing engine!

I agree with Andy that a 70FS is too big for the model, save it for when you move up to an Acrowot! A 25-35 would be ideal. If you can find a good OS 35 FP or OS 35 SF on eBay, they're worth having.

As for the three or four channel argument I feel that beginners who are less than say 45 years of age can manage a four channel model quite easily. Older beginners are IMO better off with a few flights on a three channel vintage model.

If you join a club and are taken up by an instructor on a buddy lead it'll be less of an issue anyway.

Hi Gary......mine is converted to electric now but used to fly on an Irvine .39. As the others have said use something in the .25/.35 class. Yes get the aileron wing, it will take you further in your training but theres no harm in building both to see how you feel with either and as David alluded to, join a club and learn with a buddy lead if you can.

Andrew

I have a good friend (who is actually a Boeing 777 captain for Emirates so one would hope he is ok!) who will help me, he has some HUGE 60"+ trainer (no not the 777!) but id like to fly my plane to learn on.

I'll save the FS for the next one and go with advise of a 30 ish 2 stroke.

(I am 40 next month so should be ok with 4 ch wink)

Thank you for the pointers.