Laugharne - Sloping?

Ian Jones

Good news, I've been unwell but feeling much better and I'm on holiday at Laugharne, South Wales next week with my wife and daughter.

I think I'll just be able to squeeze my Fusion in the car on top of all their stuff so the question arises "Where is a good place to fly".

Anyone know - or better still fancy meeting up one afternoon?

Ian

Hi Ian, I am not a sloper (ic nut). but I think the problem is the distance you may have to travel from Laugharne to the slopes One of the best sites is in Rhossilli on Gower. Another exellent site is The Bwlch near Treochy Both are a long round trips. Sorry I cannot be much help. Cheers have a good holiday. The Brown,s Hotel in Laugharne was a drinking den used by Dylan Thomas when he was young.  ps if you Google "slope soaring on the Bwlch" there are some good videos on Vimeo.  Cheers

Edited By fly boy3 on 16/10/2013 21:44:09

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ian,

We fly at Llansteffan beach quite a lot, which is not far away. We fly electric planes and my mate has a few powered gliders. I am not sure of the requirements of the sloper but I would have thought Pendine beach may be suitable as it has a large hill facing the sea.

Not sure if they are any good for you mate.

Mark

Thanks everyone, as it turned out the weather was nice and windy from the south or south west most of the time and that would have been ideal for coastal flying if hadn't been for the torrential rain - it was during that recent period of rain/wind/flood warnings.

All the same I kept the fusion in the car just in case we came across a suitable slope in the right weather but that didn't happen.

It looks to me as if a trip to the Pembrokeshire Model Club could have been very rewarding.

Still useful information as it is quite likely that I will visit the area again.

Ian

Posted by Mark Reynolds on 08/11/2013 01:22:42:

Hi Ian,

We fly at Llansteffan beach quite a lot, which is not far away. We fly electric planes and my mate has a few powered gliders. I am not sure of the requirements of the sloper but I would have thought Pendine beach may be suitable as it has a large hill facing the sea.

Not sure if they are any good for you mate.

Mark

I did have a look at Pendine Mark as before it was too wet to even try. Thanks anyway.