Hello Everybody

Andy.I

My name is Andy and I live in Huntingdon, and my son and I are members of Ramsey Model Aero Club.

I got back into modelling after flying free flight and rudimentary RC over 40 years ago, prompted by my son's interest. He's passed his A and it's my turn now. I've been flying his foam-e WOT4 and more lately my own WOT Trainer.

I've decided to get back into building models rather than the easier ARTF options, and for my first modern attempt I've just bought the plans to Peter Holland's Tranquiliser, which I intend to electrify. If anybody has any experience of this model I'd be grateful to hear from them please.

Advert

Hi Andy and welcome to this forum. It looks like the model that you have selected will be a good one on which to hone your building skills, it's not unlike the Barnstormer that several of us are building for next years meeting. You may be able to glean information for the electrification from our discussions on those.

Thank you for the welcome chaps.

The Tranquiliser does indeed bear a resemblance to the 52" Barnstormer - I'm almost regretting having bought the Tranquiliser plans now.

Having just had a look at the Barnstormer on the forum it's also given me some ideas. I dislike the idea of banded wings because they seem so imprecise, messy and inviting trim problems. Making the cabanes from aluminium alloy does seem to offer an ideal opportunity to fix the wings with nylon screws.

I also notice that Phil has chosen the same motor as me - an NTM 3548 900kv, although I've got a 60A Turnmigy Plush ESC. My son has the same setup in a Seagull 2000 glider and the 60A ESC seems to be happy enough. I'm intending to use the same 4s 4000 and 4500nAH lipos as I use in the WOT Trainer.

Edited By Andy.I on 22/10/2013 09:05:40

Edited By Andy.I on 22/10/2013 09:10:52

• 2 years later...

Hi Andy,

A long time ago, the Tranquiliser was my first aileron plane, and is indeed a very easy plane to fly, and into a moderate breeze it will almost hover. I still managed to crash it and then stuck it in the attic for a year. When I decided to repair it the mice had got to it first and eaten great chunks out of the wings and fuselage so it never did fly again. Stick to the bands, they really do make it more crash proof, just not 100%.

Best regards,

Jim