Sound effects

Advert

• 1 year later...
OS do a nice range...............they are called 4 strokes!!

Seriously though, the 2 systems linked above were seriously considered by me for the siren in my stuka, but I thought they were a bit expensive for what they are.

I managed to find a mechanical siren, but I was going to try some electronically competent friends to build one for me.  It isn't difficult to find samples of the sounds online.

If you want a commercial system and prefer to stay within the UK BRC do one here .  As far as I could tell it seems very similar to the bendini system Timbo linked above, but again seems expensive.

Tom, the whole point of scale model building is to achieve as close to realism of the real plane as possible. This entails attention to detail in all areas - dimensions, appearance, colour, flying characteristics and of course sound.

As many folks have mentioned , if you are flying in an area where people are complaining about noise, then turn the sound system volume down or off altogether.
But in areas where that is not a problem, there's nothing at all like a Rolls Royce Merlin or Griffon or a Pratt and Whitney radial engine sound plus guns blazing coming out of your model airplane. You literally get goose bumps as the plane flys by!

Tom, it all depends on how pedantically "scale" you want to be. Perhaps having sounds judged in competitions is not a good idea because it would be so subjective and, as you say, so dependent on what the judge(es) think the real plane should sound like.

But in the general course of things, while flying around your field for fun or demonstrating to friends and the public at large, having sounds that approach the sound of the real plane as far as is possible, without being 100.0000% accurate, does indeed add greatly to the pleasure of flying and watching these models.

I think modellers are allowed a little bit of "poetic" licence to deviate just a bit from the real thing. In any case, having digital recordings playing from the plane sounds a whole lot more pleasant than the sound of a model I.C. engine, or, if you get the volume right, the whine of the electric motor.

I speak from experience, also from the model boat world, when model boats fitted with digital sound systems are huge head turners and crowd pleasers - it all adds to the fun of the hobby.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 27/06/2009 03:08:45:

I thought that electric flight was supposed to be silent (or at least quiet) flight, or am I missing something?

Have you not heard the deafening whine of an EDF or the supersonic bark of an F5B prop or electric pylon racer? The F5B boys have me jumping out of my skin, every time they briefly switch their motors on!