What Plane for a OS .10 max ?

FastFlyer Smyth

Advert

image.jpgSome years ago (1984 I think), I scaled down a Wot 4 to 36" wingspan and powered it with an O.S. 10 FSR. Neddless to say it flew just like its larger cousin, but was somewhat overpowered.

Appologies for the poor digital picture quality, but the original was never very good anyway.

WOT a great idea Bill

Anyone have some WOT4 plans I can scale down?

Bit expensive to buy a WOT4 just so i can scale down a set.....

Mind you once I get the Mini Jazz, Excitation, Extreem and Stampe finished I'll need something to build and everyone must fly a WOT4.face 4.

Martin

Oddly enough a scaled down Wot4 went through my head prior to posting.

The Mini Jazz was right under my nose all the time. I thinkit will be a choice between these two, I've never done a mass build before and you are spot on Kev, killing 2 birds with one stone. Its years since I built something so this could be fun ! Thanks for the suggestions fella's.

Alan.

Note if your OS Max 10 is not an FSR, FP, or LA it'll be less powerful than these later variants. Also car boot size models are about 40" span at least in my car. Some outside ideas for .10 size models from plans:

The Super Dart Mk.9 by Brian Cooper. A scaled up BMFA dart. Looks like a quick build. 34" Span.

The Eaglet x2 by Peter Valentine. A scaled up Keil Kraft Eaglet for .10 engines. RCM&E Dec 1987. 46" Span.

Trishette by Adrian Britton. A sports / trainer with vintage stick and tissue looks. Radio Modeller Mar 1993. 48" Span.

Cloud Kitten 15 by Fred Reese. A 3 channel trainer. RC Modeler Nov 1999. 48" Span.

Graupner Chico. A bank and yank speed demon aerobat from the 70s. 40" Span. Plan available on the net.

Pilot Junior 100. A sports / trainer from the 80s. Pilot kits were v. popular. 44" Span. Plan available on the net.

Top Dawg by Ken Willard. A vintage pylon racer. 36" Span. Popular with US vintage enthusiasts. RC Modeller 1966. Plan on net.

Graupner Amateur. Another vintage model. A trainer dating back to 1968. Plan on the net. 44" Span.

Royal Coachman by Don Dewey. An absolute classic, an early stick type. Plan published 1965. 41" Span.

Crafsman by David Boddington. An all weather trainer by the man himself. 48" Span.

There are a load of nice kits available under the Herr brand distributed by Sig. There is a Cub, a Pitts etc.

I could probably come up with more. Although biased toward trainers for some reason hopefully my little list gives you a few new leads.

EDIT: The ideas won't stop coming:

I have a Mountain Models Lucky Ace kit which is an aerobatic stick type perfect for a .10 engine if you wanted to go IC with it. It'll gain a few ounces over it's electric configuration but it builds ridiculously light anyway. Mountain models kits build very easily and cost a good deal less than the big brand kits of old - especially as retailed here in the UK! You could do the same conversion to it's close cousin from Stevens Aero - the Shaft 400 or Shaft 480.

House of Balsa produce a number of kits intended for this size engine too. Both in scale and in sport types.

Keil Kraft Mini Super -  a blast from the past available from Ben Buckles.

OK, maybe I can stop now laugh

Edited By Simon P on 01/11/2013 11:09:32

Edited By Simon P on 01/11/2013 11:11:44

Edited By Simon P on 01/11/2013 11:17:52

Another plane from the past that suited the OS10 was the Veron Mini-Concord. Mine which I purchased as a kit from Heset Model Supplies in South Croydon in 1976, was stolen from a garage in 1986. The thief however left the wings behind. I still have the OS 10 and a second- hand mini-Concord I have yet to finish. The Mini-Concord however was a single channel design that could be converted to 3 channel.

The plan is still available on E-bay.

MJE

Simon, Thanks for doing some research for me ! Thats a great list. yes You guys have all given me plenty of inspiration and lots to think about, thank you.

On the question of OS variants how do I tell what type it is ?

All that is stamped on casing is MAX OS 10. I take it from your comment that this is an older type standard OS.10 ?

I'm not sure why the DB Tara is listed under "float-plane" when it isn't but it will fly on a .10 nicely. I built one at university whereby the fuselage split in two just behind the rear of the wing (I just added an extra bulkhead with some locating dowels and a wing retaining bolt to secure) so I could transport it easily. The wings I just had wire joiners etc. It's a small plane but transports even better when split into four parts!

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16505/mag191--tara

• 1 year later...