Dirty Birdy

Bearair

Hi

A few years ago I bought a Dirty Birdy for renovation. It is 60inch span with a glass fiber fus. I think it may be from the Svenson kit but im not really sure. I was thinking of using a Rossi 53 with tuned pipe for power. Weight is 4.5lbs without engine, tank or radio.

What are peoples thoughts on the Rossi as a engine for it or can someone suggest a more "authentic" engine.

Will post some pictures later.

Roger

I agree with Biggles they are a bit of a handful so I would go for Super Tigre,Webra,OS or HP,all plentifull second hand I have a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 with OS 55,plenty of power so you have a big choice to pick from but stay clear of Rossi ! Also you have Evolution from Horizon at a good price!

Edited By tony bloomfield on 01/11/2013 12:50:26

Hi Martin,

Not sure what it will do not run it yet. Going by the forties ive had im expecting to need to rev it to get top performance. A forty works best with a 9 6 so not sure if a 12 8 will be to big for the 53. If anyone has expeirence of this motor it would be very usefull.

It's outside my experience as well, but I reckon the weight (or lack of weight of the Rossi) might be the factor to consider. An old .61 is probably heavier?
The fibreglass fuselage wont be lighter than the balsa original which was 128 onces ( 8 pounds ) ready to fly according to the article in RCM June 75 and July 75. (I have the magazines)

In theory this plan is still available from RCM Plans in USA but lots of people have reported problems getting RCM to deliver what they have paid for.

Edited By kc on 01/11/2013 13:08:20

Thanks all my issue is that the model has the bulkhead glassed in so I dont wont to move it. I have 3 7/8" space to work with. So Iif I use a modern 60 it will not fit, hence im hoping this Rossi which has never run will give enough power. From the web I know it will turn a 11/5 at 16000rpm opinions gratefully acepted.Dirty Birdy

As I say I really can't see there being a problem with power Roger. The Rossi is spec'ed to produce over 2hp at full revs - that's a lot of "go" for a 53! If your weight estimate is correct then its over 300W per lb - that's a very high power to weight ratio - unlimited verticals sort of power!

BEB

Thanks, Martin and BEB for the reassurance I am going to give it ago. My experience of Rossi's is that they run great flat out or at ideal its just the bit in the middle they are not so clever at typical italian engines in my experience (Laverda's more than anything). Its also the way I used to see aerobatics flown at the time the Birdy was competitive.

Roger

You'll definitely want more pitch...............

5" pitch will give rapid acceleration, but not to the speed needed to fly these models.

My DB 60 (GP ARF) runs a fairly old ST .61 on a pipe, turning an APC 11x8 at something like 14K. And it's ballistic. So I'd suggest you need 7-8ins pitch to get the practical top speed.

IMHO, the "2 BHP" figure is just a number, esp at some unattainable rpm; what you need is an engine/pipe/prop combo that'll give useful rpm & thrust to give the speed, on what will still probably be a 7-8lb aeroplane. So I'd start with an 11x7 or x8 (probably too much initially) & pipe to suit..................

Bill