Frog Mustfire

Cheap but smelly! That's the drawback with petrol motors, especially when the models are stored in a spare bedroom. A good point is that I can get fuel anywhere, no need for a trip to the model shop.

There is another drawback if you fly from noise sensitive sites - they have more of an explosive crackle to the exhaust than an equivalent glow - faster combustion perhaps?

Ah, the smell! When I get home I must kick-start the Norton and savour the aroma. (It is in the garage, though once I stored a Norton 650SS engine in my wardrobe over winter, mom wasn't pleased when it crashed through and fell onto the bedroom floor)!

I wasn't aware of the noise issue, though I' imagine that can be resolved. Those rubber bellows attachments that JE do are amazing, giving a nice quiet note and without affecting power, they're straight through.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi All

Have just seen your posting on frog mustfire,i aquired some bits of Mustfire from friend of mine who built it in the 60s but got shot down on his third flight,was virtually a write off,i have rebuit it fitted a laser 100 but with a few mods as he gave me the orignal drawings from Jesper von Segebaden with all his mods on after each of his Swedish champions ship wins,enlarging rudder , changing engine from merco to a veco,moving wing foreward to f13 & deceasing incidence by 1 deggree,1967 larger elevater & fus lengthend by 4".etc. Have only had 1 flight a dream to fly but kept climbing on anything over half throttle,have not had chance to re fly it owing to our lovely weather.

Barry Saint

Hi All I forgot to mention my drawings are Jespers own drawings they were given to the brother in law of my friend who built the ill fated plane.his brother in law worked for British aerospace on there wind tunnel development,he was sent to Sweden to assist there workforce on the project & stayed with Jesper as he was also a model flyer Jesper gave him his drawings as designs had now moved on.

Barry