Ailerons to receiver on Bixler 2

Can any one tell me how to connect the aileron servo wires to my orange receiver, I have two wires, one off each servo, and only one port marked aile on the receiver, Do I have to use a Y lead. any help would be welcomed. Also when I plug my speed controller in, which port do I use, the one marked Thro or the one marked Batt/Bind.

Advert

Yes, the easiest way is to use a Y lead. The esc goes to the thro.

If you have a programmable radio another way to connect the ailerons would be to mix the aileron channel to the aux channel and plug one servo into the aux port on the receiver. Some radio have this feature pre programmed called "dual ailerons"

Yes I was going to say the same myself.

Enjoy your Bixler 2 I bought the Bixler 1 about a month ago, its a fantastic plane, you can fly around for ages with it, and it also catches the thermals well too. I take mine over the park for a blast, are you going to fit flaps on yours? as it will help with the landings mine glides forever without them.

Enjoy it a great plane for the money!

Roy

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the forum! As you are finding, there's plenty of help available from the good folk here.

What transmitter do you have? If it is a DX6i or similar, you'll need to use the Gear channel for the flaps if you have the ailerons on two channels. Dual ailerons give you the advantage of being able to set some differential which can assist with turns or even spoilerons if you wish to extend your options.

On the Bixler 2, you will see that the flap servo cutouts are 'handed', like the aileron servo cutouts.

If you install the flap servos in the cutouts as supplied, you will need to reverse the wiring to one servo. To avoid this and keep it simple, make a fresh cutout so that both flap servos face the same way, either left or right. You can infill the unused cutout with the offcut.

As Roy says, the Bixler is pretty versatile and it's a great fun machine for some relaxing flyingthumbs up

Pete

This is called 'flapperons' and is also a pre programmed function on the DX.

Plus side; no additonal hardware

Down side, 1) flapperons are not a effective as flaps. 2) Aileron response is reduced while the flapperons are deployed. 3)As the ailerons are at the wing tips with the flapperons deployed the aircraft is more prone to a tip stall.

If you dial in more throw to improve condition 1 you make condition 2 & 3 worse.

I have no experience of the Bixler but would say fly it as it is and add the flaps later if you feel it needs them.

Dual aileron means you can set the differential aileron function. This reduces the throw on the down going aileron to reduce the drag on that wing and hence reduce adverse yaw. Also reduces tenancy for it to tip stall.

Yes I think you may be right Mr B, being a relative beginner I have never flown a model with Flaps before, in fact this is my first aileron trainer. So may be better to stay away from flaps at the moment, (one thing at a time.) Need to keep it docile and not over complicate things. do I need to keep the aileron settings to a minimum for the time being to keep it docile in the roll.

You can set 3 stage daul rates (not sure how they are 'dual' when there are 3 settings bet there you go!).

This means you can have full throw and medium throw and low throw set and switch between using the dual rates switch. Look for the D/R expo menu. Start on low rates. If it is too slugish in role switch up to medium and then high.

Hi Graham, Sorry I didn't mean to complicate things for you. The Bixler is a great plane to learn on, she will glide and give you plenty of time to plan your turns, It will recover well too.

Fly her how it is , then add the flaps later if you feel you need them. just give yourself plenty of room for landing as it glides on and on if you run out of room just go round and try again. But most of all enjoy it, my Bixler is one of my favourite planes.

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy, No you have not complicated things for me, bearing in mind that this is my first aileron plane you are right, keep it simple, flaps are for the future. Bearing in mind that this is my first aileron trainer need to slow it right down to give me time to think. (I do fly some of the aileron trainers on my phoenix light sim o.k.) your advice on the floaty landings has been noted, I do have a lot of room to fly.

Regards,

Graham.

I can't add much to all the good advice given already, Graham. The Bixler is as tough as old boots and a basic setup should be fine to get a feel for things. I subscribe to the KISS principle, so if you wish to ignore the following, please do!teeth 2

Regarding rates/expo, I'd suggest the following based on my usual practice. Set the highest rate to the maximum throws recommended in the model manual. I then have one reduced rate setting at 70% of max throw. Start off with the lower rate setting.

For both rates, I set expo of +40%. This softens the stick response around the neutral position and can reduce any twitchiness, particularly if your fingers are a little stressed - as they may be......smile

An alternative to the flapperons mentioned above by Mr. B are 'spoilerons', where the ailerons are raised together rather than lowered. This reduces the lift of the wing and will further reduce the possibility of tip-stalling. The effect is that the model will descend more rapidly. As with flaps, it is often necessary to compensate with elevator trim - easily dialled in with the DX8.

Anyway, that's for the future - good luck with the maiden and let us know how it goes....thumbs up

Pete

Hi Guys

When I got my Bixler 2, I bought and installed the additional servos for the flaps option, . I haven't used them yet, as I'm still a learner, but might experiment with them later on..

What you need to know, is that you have to install and wire them in BEFORE you glue in the under wing spar strips.

Go With the Flow

Bruce

Hi Guys

Can you share with me where you have located the 2200mah battery for optimum CoG. on the Bixler 2

You may have made minor mods and had to move the battery a bit, and that, I would be interested to see too.

If anybody fitted the HK under carriage, where did the battery end up?

Apologies to the moderator if this is a bit off course??

Go With the Flow

Bruce