Just a bit at a time.

Posted by Braddock, VC on 03/02/2014 13:56:57:

I've planned the scheme in my head, I have a metre of metallic violet profilm which will cover the upward facing bits aft from halfway between the tailplane leading edge and the t/e of the wing. Undersides of tailplane, wing and fuse in black and white checkered film rest of fuse and wing top surface in cub yellow profilm and I have some holographic stick on film to put the leading edge wot 4 trims on.

Well you certainly won't lose it by the sound of things! Should be able to see that in the dark! Sounds great!

BEB

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Final sanding of sanding sealer put on hold as it's an outside job and the rain is raining and the wind is blowing a hooligan.

I'm off for a few days doing the family rounds then next friday I'm going to take out the throttle servo from the central position and pop an hitec 85 mg as the throttle servo under the cowl. At the same time I'll look at taking out the rudder and ele servos and replace them with 38 gramme 4.2 kg/cm digitals in the after end of the fuselage. IIRC I prefer the old wottie with an aft c of g and it's a wee bit easier to fasten lead to the engine mount than to the tail.

I'll run a test with the a/c assembled and the servos lying on the fus top to see how much ballast it needs before committing myself though.

I really don't like how chris foss suggests installing the wing servos, not lying on their side and mounted with the complete output arm out in the breeze, very vulnerable. To late to do anything now though.

Edited By Braddock, VC on 14/02/2014 23:45:52

• 2 weeks later...

Fuse and tailfeathers sanding sealer postponed again, got all the servos mounted though and taken out again so I can cover the thing, not looking forward to that. Put a second coat of fuel proofer inside and round the cowl area, I'll pop a tailwheel on tomorrow. Quite pleased with the ways things are going as I've set up my wot4 foame and the radian pro, bought both of them a year or so back so I'll have a few planes to play with.

Got my falcon down from the loft, one of the engine bearers has become unglued, this is a problem as the plane is now 11 years old and a bit oily inside but I'll sort it out I'm sure, "a bit at a time" yes

• 1 month later...

Final sanding now done, ailerons trimmed to length and leading edges of ailerons vee'd up. All plastered with sanding sealer and wants a quick rub down with really fine sandpaper then onto covering it which I'm still not looking forward too.

Hope to maiden it on the BH weekend with a bit of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hit a block, I have the wot 4 ready to cover together with a kit built acrowot also ready to cover and I really am struggling to get motivated to finish them.

FWIW I fuel proofed both the fuselages and also the wings out as far as the aileron roots then rubbed that back with wet and dry so it really is a matter for "just" covering which is my least favourite part of building.

What I'll probably end up doing is ditching the flash covering scheme I had in mind and do them both in Cub yellow profilm with a few bits of trim blush.

• 5 months later...

All covered bar the ailerons and elevators, did my usual nora batty covering job. Popped over to ashford for some ammo for my gun and called into ashrofd model supply to get some fittings to connect up the rudder, the fossy way looks heath robinson to me.

I used corona digitals for the wing servos, absolute cheap tat, the lugs snapped clean off one as I screwed the thing on and no, I wasn't pulling the damn things in with the screws. So now they are held in place with expanding foam!

Hopefully it should fly within a few weeks. I'll move onto the acrowot when this one is done.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I thought I'd drag this out for an update. Wottie flying well till the engine seized. Have freed it up, crankpin seized the conrod engine now runs fine but the flying field is yeuk.

Finally finished the acrowot, fitted another saito 82 to it when I decided to sell off the saitos and go back to OS.

The saitos were snapped up and now I have to fit a new s/h os 61 fx in the wot 4 and a s/h os 91 fx in the acrowot.

Work on hold as my mojo is slipping due to my tax return needing completion. Ho hum, roll on feb 1.