PSS MB339 Aermacchi Build

David Gilder

Sorry its been a while folks, but I have been rather busy at work and at home decorating!

(Oh and setting up the workshop !!!)

So what's new?

I have been working on the fin detailing.

This meant lots of measuring and marking up as you can see in this pic:

dsc08567.jpg

Followed by lots of masking up...

dsc08553.jpg

dsc08556.jpg

You can see some of the diamond are done in the pics as I was only able to do a few at a time due to the masking up!

So in the kitchen.... Airbrush out and on with spraying up the first side!

dsc08558.jpg

And when this was done it was time for a quick picture!!

Oh... I also added the first of the amazing vinyl decals John at Island Models has done for me!

dsc08564.jpg

dsc08566.jpg

Well soon after this it was time to build the workbenches and shelving that had arrived for the workshop.

Once built, I was able to put all my planes in and reclaim one of our bedrooms back... SWMBO is very pleased by that bit!

dsc08573.jpg

So at this very moment, the model is in the workshop drying having airbrushed some of the starboard side of the fin..

dsc08569.jpg

dsc08575.jpg

So there we go.

Your all up to date!

More updates when I can!!

Dave

Good job Dave, looks great in black and gold! And it looks like you've got yourself well set up now in the new house too - with ample work and storage space - we will be expecting bigger models going forward now you are not building on the kitchen table thumbs up devil

Cheers Phil.

Yes, getting settled in now some of the stresses are easing!

Bigger models??? Hmmmm... SWMBO says size isn't everything!!! Detail may be an area for improvement though.. Besides, I have 3 other models waiting to return to the building area until I can think about another one!!

Just one thing missing from the workshop really...

A stool to sit on!!

Time will see if one arrives!!

Dave

Quick update for you all....

Have been working on the underside of the wings over the weekend and this week!

Quite a bit of work with the different colours!!

Also I managed to start the underbelly gold stripe!

underside 1.jpg

The model is now back in the workshop to have the rest of the belly stripe done!

underside 2.jpg

So whilst this is happening, I am trying to source a pale gold acrylic to finish off the fin. This will also be required on the topside of the wings!

Maybe I should actually show you what the finished Design should look like..

al-fursan-aermacchi-mb-339-01.jpg

Cheers

Dave. wink

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick update...

I have been hoping to have the model ready for the next PSS Meeting in 2 weeks time but have to be honest, I'm not quite sure it will be ready in time! sad

It's starting to look like its not far off, But I know there is still so much to do!!

So following on from the last input, I have completed the belly gold so the underside is now complete and looks like this:

underside done.jpg

(The Ailerons are also sprayed up but not fitted until the very end as it will all need lacquer coating to make it water / moisture proof!)

So now it was time to set to the top side of the wings!

To be perfectly honest, this is the part I had been dreading the most....

Its a very intricate design and if I get it wrong, it would look dreadful and so not like the picture I am trying to follow above!!

So with pictures and model studied again and again, I pulled out the ruler and pencil and started to mark up the extremities before playing a big game of dot to dot!

With lots of masking up following and 3 coats of gold sprayed on over the last few days (its ben quite warm so coats have dried quite quickly!) I finally removed all the masking to reveal the left wing!

I only did the left wing now so that if it all turned out badly, I only had 1 wing to sand back and start again!

So here'd the model at current state (picture taken about 20 minutes ago!)

left wing top.jpg

The spot the difference players will now also notice that the cockpit area is covered!

The original plan to make a removable battery tray accessed by removing the wing was playing on my mind so I have decided to go with a fixed battery tray and a removable canopy.

I will make a report on that in due course!

So that's where I am at now!

Will be trying to get the right wing matched up and done over the next few days!

Dave

wink

Very nice Dave, really impressive paint job - understand you dont wan't to rush this or cut corners but I do hope you can pull out all the stops, burn the midnight oil and get this model to the Orme event 31st May!!! thumbs up

Edited By Phil Cooke on 19/05/2014 20:02:47

Okay Okay Okay....... I get it.......... Finish at all costs (I hope it doesn't cost me my wife!)

What a difference a day makes - 24 little hours!!!!!........

BUT

A huge difference to the model!!

wings done 2.jpg

wings done 1.jpg

A bit more to do on the tail and right side of the fin! (hopefully can do that tomorrow after work as long as I remember to get to HobbyCraft to pick up some more paint!!)

Dave

Nice progress Dave, looking good.

Mine wieghed a lot more than that, intentionally, with a heavy lay up by John P on the fus for stiffness - mine flew at well over 7lbs. You really dont have to worry about the weight Dave, the model has a good lifting area and at 4lbs it will still be quite lightly loaded... even at over 7lbs it was very well behaved in the circuit and on slowing it up for landing... as you know as you add more weight they just start to perform better and better (more like jets) with the energies involved... so dont be shy with the glue/glass/paint as you continue to work this one to completion!!

Hello
David Gilder ..
first to congratulate you on the great job with the Airmachi,
looks great, you try hard at work, again I congratulate you,
Apart from this I would like if possible, to inform me of that distance would swing my point (CG)
this requirement is to devido coming, and with some time, JohnPearson I Airmachi prepare a kit or perhaps a Magister,
What do you think is more rapid of the two cren?.

Thank you very much for all your possible answer, and sorry for my bad English, it is translated with Google traslator

Hola David,

lo siento... avergonzado solo queria preguntar por la situacion del centro de grabedad, ¿ cual seria la medida desde la raiz del ala ? pregunta

esto es por que estoy en espera de conseguir un kit de John Pearson, y queria ir un poco por delante, tambien saber cual de los dos modelos ( Airmachi o Fouga Magister ) es mas veloz... no se por cual decidirme no sabentriste

Hello again Lothar.
I have translated your input to the following:

I?m Sorry... Just want to enquire about the situation about the centre of gravity? Which/What serious/reputable measurement from root of the wing?

This is why to be an delay / wait to come by a kit from John Pearson, I wanted to go a little infront, Also could which / what is the models (Airmacchi or Fouga Magister) to be more quick... Not itself is what decides

To be honest, I'm not the right person to ask. This is my first model from John Pearson but as I understand, both models can be ballasted to give better speed and penetration. I understand also that it may be possible to arrange a different aerofoil section if prefered. (You must remember however, to strengthen / brace the wing more if building heavy or a wing failure in flight is a posibility (and has happened to a fellow modeller).
As for the Centre of Gravity, This is marked out on the instructions and from memory is approx 1/3 way back from the leading edge at the wing root.

I hope this helps.
You may do better contacting John Pearson directly via the island models website.

It is possible that a moderator will remove your spanish post above as this is technically a breach of forum rules so please dont be offended if it does get removed.

Dave

Just a quick update to let you all know (as requested)... I have been burning the midnight oil and all my Brownie Points!! The Fuselage will be getting its laquer spray tonight but I really wont have time to do a nice detailed cockpit!

I will do a very basic one and all being well, the model WILL be with me on the Orme this coming weekend!!!

I'm not putting any more pics up now, so that it can be fully "revealed" on the Orme!!

See you there!!

Mr Jones, You are a hard person to please!!

Okay then, Just a few more pics!!!

Some of the brilliant decals supplied by John Pearson...

decals1.jpg

And a quick look at the cockpit in place!! Note the Pitot tubes !!!

cockpit.jpg

Hope that satisfies you more!!

NO??!!

FIne... Okay then!!!

Here you go...

garden1.jpg

cheeky

So apart from sorting out some of the electrics, ITS FINISHED!!!!

See you up the ORME!!!

Dave