Problem with ESC or motor

Steve McIntosh

Advert

So I tried a brand new balance charged battery today with the ESC out of the plane. It wouldn't spool up properly and kept starting and stopping. Fiddled with all the connectors which seem(admittedly I'm not the best at soldering) secure and made no difference.

I guess its a trip to BRC tomorrow for a new ESC see if that makes a difference and if not I'm stumped and have a spare ESC for next year(fancying the Dawn Flyer)

Steve

Have you got another motor you can try the ESC with. Also, have a very good look at where the 3 motor wires enter the motor to see that the insulation is in good nick and doing its job. A stuttering motor could be caused by one of the wires shorting out on the motor casing or to another one of the wires.

Can you provide a link to the specificTurnigy 25A ESC, Steve - there are several possibilities under that brand. It's worth re-programming the ESC to ensure the timing is set to 'High' which will be suitable for most brushless motors - if it doesn't help, it at least rules it out. I assume you won't have a programming card so the instructions should be downloadable under the 'Files' section on the Hobbyking product page.

Pete

Hi fellas, adding further to my post I. Have had problems in the past with the male side bullet connectors. The expanding cage will make a good connection inside the female bullets but leaves a poor connection to itself. The answer is to solder the cage to the nose of the bullet and to check the wire joints the heatshrink has got to be removed as I found out myself only last week....G

A dodgy connection on any connector carrying a few amps will cause it to get hot. Any increased contact resistance just increases the temp due to volt drop across the joint/connector causing more resistance causing more heat and so on until the joint fails. Try running the setup until the motor stops then go feel the connectors. If one is warm/hot it may be you've found your problem.

Ian

Bought myself a wattmeter this morning which showed that both batteries were fully charged and balanced. Checked all the connections which seem to be okay and ensured that they were all well isolated from each other. Still no go the motor just wouldn't spool up properly and kept stopping.

Sod it bought a new ESC from BRC(fortunately its only 5 mins away) and hey presto this one is full of the magic smoke. Motor now runs lovely, bring on Sunday(Hope the blue skies here at the mo remain)

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions know where to come in future