Ever wanted to get into or improve your aerobatics?

Peter Jenkins

Advert

Martyn.. This is wonderfull... ☺☺ Thanks for the link.. I have a few "retro" planes.. Loaded Dice.. Superstar.. and love to fly them.. obviously can't compete with the latest Sebarts .. I have a Miss Wind , which is gorgeous to fly..but love the "veterans"..Unfortunately as I live in the most remote place in UK... too far to travel KB

Edited By kiwibob on 28/11/2015 18:32:50

Dave and Kiwibob - I think you'll find that classic aerobats are competitive at Clubman and Intermediate schedule level. It's only when you start to get to needing significant knife edge capability that today's deep fuselage becomes a necessity. Of course, once you've flown something like a Miss Wind 50, or any other electric F3A 50 size model you will notice that both the available power and the lightness of the design give you outstanding vertical performance. Difficult to pass over that point! The other issue to consider is the (almost) fuss free way you can start your flying slot - no more blown glow plug or broken wire from remote glow connector, no more engine slightly off on its idle setting as the temperature has changed significantly etc. You can get the terminal white smoke from the ESC but that has only happened once to me in 4 years of competition flying - and it wasn't a Jeti Spin 99 that let me down! I agree though that the noise of a well silenced 4 stroke takes some beating - as does the electronics on board such a beast!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter, just getting back in touch now our club has had the Agm. A couple of bits, so first could we discuss the entry for our club (mid suffolk radio modellers) re the Clubman events we have 3 (inc myself) members who would be interested in joining and we would be willing to host a round if you felt the site was suitable.

Have you any plans for next years Npod?

Also would love to get some time flying together again as just lashed out on a sebart Mythos 125e which is way above my skill set but wanted to make sure all the mistakes i was making was me not the plane!

ps i cant make the meeting on the 6th but our vice chiarman Chris is attending.

Hi Mike

I've heard good reports on the Mythos 125. Do let us know how you get on with it. Once trimmed out, you should find it a pussy cat to fly but as ever the challenge is to get the geometry and size of the manoeuvres right in what ever wind condition prevails - something that needs lots of practice!

I've emailed you on the other points.

Peter

Sorry Chris, the model looks nice but I would not consider a foamy nor an electric. And at that span it would get thrown about in anything but the most lighest of breeze. Much like my PZ models do. So not for me thanks. I'm looking for a 50 size F3A model, balsa and ply with proper oracover covering made for IC. Around the150 mark. Too much to ask? None on the market over here. Many in the US. Why is that?? If they were made available then I'm sure it would help introduce many more of us into the patternship fold. Happy Christmas all Ash.

Edited By ASH. on 24/12/2015 23:38:09

Hi Ash,

Have you taken a look at the World Models Spot On 50 here? Meets your spec! Only issue is "are they in stock"?

In answer to your question as to why more pure F3A aircraft are not available in tihs country - lack of demand is the answer. Most folk seem to like big control surfaces even if they don't fly 3D proper. There seems to be a feeling that an aerobatic model is only set up correctly when it's got huge control movements and is as twitchy as blazes. Pattern models don't tick these boxes and so don't sell well. The US has a much higher demand for precision aerobatic models so they get them. Just what I've observed in the 5 years I've been involved in pattern or F3A flying.

As you know, a well set up F3A model is a steady as a rock and is probably one of the best training aircraft you could use. They don't bounce well though so fail that test for a trainer!

Happy Christmas

Peter

Hi Dave

Aw no way, I hope you are recovering ok,that is terrible. Some cage drivers have no awareness when it comes to bikes,motorbikes or pedestrians a lot of the time. I hope you're able to get out of the chair soon and get back to normal. At least its not really flying weather if that's a small consolation!

take care and get well soon!

Hi Dave

Aw no way, I hope you are recovering ok,that is terrible. Some cage drivers have no awareness when it comes to bikes,motorbikes or pedestrians a lot of the time. I hope you're able to get out of the chair soon and get back to normal. At least its not really flying weather if that's a small consolation!

Hi Dave

No way,that's terrible! And at a roundabout when everyone can see everyone else.....but that's only if they are looking, unbelievable. I hope you're recovering ok and you can return to building and flying again soon and in time for some nice weather!

Hope 2016 brings good luck to you and hope all heals in good time.

mind yourself,

alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter, had a few flights with the Mythos now and its lovely, really glad i went for the quality servos etc. As it makes it so much easier to trim and fly smothly. Not really had a full session trimming yet though as getting used to it and getting the c of g where i want it ( and trying it at different positions before i confirm it) then will get down to a full trimming program. Only had one session when its been under 15 mph wind but its very nice and showing up all my ( many) weaknesses! But thats why i got it to not be able to blame the plane.