Reciever setup for new quad

Mart49

Advert

Posted by Mart49 on 13/01/2014 15:01:36:

David

I've gone for the SK450 frame (with the yellow foam ball wink) 4 of the NTM short shaft motors 1200 kv I think, and 4x Hobbywing 30amp esc's from Giant Shark as HK are out of stock. I also ordered a KK2.1 controller from HK International as they are out of stock both UK and Europe. I think I've spent about £85 so far, and need a rx to finish.

There are some very helpful youtube clips and building a 450 size quad, listing all the parts required as well

Mart

Mart,

Be very careful with the KK2.1 board! HK are producing these without the original designers assistance. There is especially a problem with the connectors for the low voltage alarm with it apparently causing total loss of board, ESCs and RXs in some cases. As far as I can make out advice at the moment is to cut off/ desolder the connectors and to use a timer or independant voltage alarm direct onto the battery. There are also issues with the stock firmware with the recommendation being to upload another version. Flashing new firmware is not hard but requires a USBasp available from HK and eBay.

All this has come from memory but the information is available on the RCGroups KK2 thread. I'm currently buying up any KK2.0s I can find till the problem gets sorted!

Chris

Posted by Mart49 on 13/01/2014 19:35:15:

Thanks Chris. I was always going to upgrade the FW as it's supplied with v1.5. Is there a specific version you'd recommend?

Mart

The FW for the KK2.1 differs from the KK2.0 so whichever you use make sure it's 2.1 specific. There is a guy on RCGroups who goes by "steveis" if you find him and click on his home page his most recent software is supposedly very good. I think the software used to update the FW tells you who wrote it anyway but I'm not 100% sure if he uses the same name and don't have the PC on to check, probably worth a quick look to save messing about.

Chris