Reciever setup for new quad

Mart49

So, after the article in last months mag, plus a few youtube clips, I've just ordered a quadcopter. And, like normal, as soon as I've clicked the button I start to wonder about things...

1. This is my first multi rotor, and I'll be using my futaba 6J. Will I need to add the quad as a Heli or will it not matter?

2. Is plugging the rx in relatively simple?

3. Should I wait and read the instructions?

Thanks

Mart

Advert

1. No - the control board on the quad will interface with the Rx and do all the stablisation and motor control, it will just need forward and back (elevator), left and right (aileron), Yaw (rudder) and up and down (throttle)

2. Yes - see above

3. Absolutely - or see if they are online and read them before it arrives.

Note some quads have an aerobatic mode set by a spare channel, make sure you have that off for the first flights.............

Make sure you are used to using your rudder thumb, if you are a bank and yank fixed wing flier then you'll have to learn to use the rudder stick.

Wow! Now there is a coincidence! I have just ordered exactly the same thing earlier today! Like you I suspect, I decided it was a bit more than a "toy" but not so big and complex as to be a bit daunting!

I have managed to get a small research grant to explore using "drones" for measuring otherwise difficult to access objects. So, I've ordered one of these just as an "opening shot" just to get my hand in at flying multi-rotors prior to purchasing something rather bigger (and more expensive!).

We can compare notes!

BEB

The KK2 board is brilliant - your quad should fly fairly well out of the box and as mentioned above make sure for the first few flight you have self level turned on.

The quad you've bought is not the most durable so I would perhaps try and make sure everything is ok over soft grass before attempting to fly it inside with Nasty hard walls and floors. Also be aware that there are reports of the quad flipping hard to the floor when the LVC is reached make sure to be conservative with your battery times.

HK have a guide to setting up the KK2 board on the boards actual selling page which is really simple to follow. You shouldn't need to but if you run into problems it's worth a look, it also will tell you which pins relate to which output from your RX.

Finally your board will mostly likely come with V1.2 software on it, V1.6 flies much much better, HK sell the tool for flashing it.

Welcome to multirotors!

Chris

BEB, likewise - more than a toy, and enough to be interesting!

Chris, thanks for the info. I'll look into the software version when it arrives. I've just been informed by SWMBO that it's to be wrapped up and put under the tree, so I'll check back on the afternoon of the 25th

Mart

• 4 weeks later...

BEB, I wonder how you're getting on with the quad? I ordered the flash lead to update the KK2 board, but didn't realise i needed a USB adapter as well. I have had a fly in the garden today, and after getting some settings off t'internet, I managed some decent hovering. Apparently, the v1.6 upgrade gives a far better self stabilization. Managed to crack a prop, so I'm also after a set of 5x3 CW and CCW props as well

Mart

Hi Mart, yes I've had some sucess - likewise hovering has proven to be not too difficult - thanks to the stabilisation! And I can fly simple circuits etc - left and right - currently I'm trying to fly a tidy figure 8 - but it tends to get a bit quick and out of shape if I'm not concentrating! I haven't tried anything too adventurous like flips yet!

Regarding blades - I ordered 3 sets (6 red and 6 white) - just after I ordered the quad. But I had to order them from the HK Global Warehouse as they were out of stock in the UK, but that might have changed by now.

regarding flashing the KK2 board. I managed to buy a combined unit from HK - it has the lead, the electronic gubbins and the USB - again I had to go to the Global Warehouse for the bits - although I have since found out that you can buy the necessary in lots of places. I plan to have a go in the next couple of days at updating the software because, like you, I have read that performnce - particularly stability, is much improved. Although I have to say I think its pretty good now.

Overall I think this quad is a good starter package for someone who has previous flying experience.

BEB

BEB, the props are still out of stock in the UK, so I've got some coming from the International warehouse.

Sounds like you're a little more advanced than me - hovering and flying in a straight line up and down the garden is my limit at the moment!!

Thanks Steve - the husban does look like fun

Mart

A quick question Mart - did you get any bits to retain the props on the shafts? I found that they were a very tight push fit but there were no collets or anything to fix them on. I got some suitable retainers in the form of some 'O' rings I had laying around and used them. But I'm still puzzled about whether you are just supposed to rely on the tight fit between prop and shaft. That seems a bit "iffy" to me?

BEB

I have just pushed the props on, but have read of crashes caused by one or more flying off during a flight. 1 suggestion was to ream out the hole to 1.5mm, then apply some glue once in place. Mine seem to be on quite tightly, but when the new ones arrive from HK, I'll have a play.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the new props finally arrived from HK International - took 2 weeks+. Anyway, whilst waiting I flashed the KK2 board with the the latest FW - ver. 1.6 and I think its made a considerable difference. I can now hover up and down the hallway, turn in the kitchen and return back down the hall! Just as easy to go up and down the garden, 4ft high and avoid all the bushes, trees and fences

Will take it over the flying field tomorrow, weather depending.

OK, confession time. Flew the quad over our local playing field on Saturday. Had a couple of good flights with the Bixler 2 to get my thumbs in, then had 2 really good flights with the quad. I was amazed at how stable it was, even in the stiff breeze smile o Hovering at 15-20' was actually easy (I can take no credit - the KK2 board did all the work!)

Anyway, the dreaded " 1 last flight" syndrome hit with a vengence. I had allow the quad to get higher than I wanted, I lost orientation just as the wind got up. The end result was watching it crash into someones back garden. I went round the houses and knocked on doors, and even popped home and printed some reward posters and put them through all the likely houses, but nothing...

Pretty miffed, as it was new at christmas, and had my #16 keycam on board as well.

Anyway, on the bright side, I've decided to build my own, and ordered a 450 size frame, motors, esc etc last night laugh. Not going to be beaten on this....

Mart

David

I've gone for the SK450 frame (with the yellow foam ball wink) 4 of the NTM short shaft motors 1200 kv I think, and 4x Hobbywing 30amp esc's from Giant Shark as HK are out of stock. I also ordered a KK2.1 controller from HK International as they are out of stock both UK and Europe. I think I've spent about £85 so far, and need a rx to finish.

There are some very helpful youtube clips and building a 450 size quad, listing all the parts required as well

Mart