Painting a Raptor 30 body

Mike Bell

Can anyone out there suggest a suitable primer to help paint adhere to the plastic of a Raptor body shell? I have painted mine a couple of times but the adhesion is poor and the finish is easily damaged.

I was wondering if anyone had tried the Multiplex Multi-primer. I know this is for Elapor etc but maybe it would be effective on other plastics too?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Advert

the plastic it made from the same stuff as bleach bottles and you'll have a hard time getting paint to stick at all you could try some solarfilm prymol it is an etching fluid to allow paint to stick to iron on covering. i ended up putting a florescent vinyl sticker set on mine when i had one. don't forget any paint you put on has to be glow fuel proof otherwise you end up with a sticky mess. the Halfords fuel proof paint only protects against petrol, glow fuel will still dissolve it.

I'm a Hirobo man, and the Sceadu has the same type of material for the canopy. I have never seen ANY successful paint job done on them, even when various etching primers have been used. Even if looking good when done, they soon start losing adhesion due to the release from the plastic of the plasticisers that make it flexible.

Best way if you really MUST change it is to get a third party "untitled and unlettered" fibreglass canopy with a flash paint job, there are few around for similar sized Align Helis. Or buy a plain white one and do your own thing.

Thanks all. Seems it isn't just me having problems. I might just have a bit experiment with different etch primers and if this isn't successful I might just go the composite body route. Stickers and legending isn't a problem as I have a vinyl cutter, I just don't want a plain white background.

If I get any success I'll let you know.

Cheers, Mike