Spectrum DX7

Greg Wilson

Advert

I have recently got a Spectrum DX7 and having problems setting up. I am referring to the DX7 Tx battery which is 1500mah ni-mh. I have blown up my JP charger so now i need to charge my batteries using my field charger - therefore i need to know the polarity of this battery.

JR ( and Spektrum I think too ) use red as positive and brown as negative. On the charge jack of the set, the outer "ring" is positive and the centre "pin" is negative. THis is OPPOSITE to that of Futaba gear.

Have you not got a simple voltmeter for double checking this sort of thing??

I chucked out my supplied DX7 battery ages ago when I fitted a LiPo pack...and used my own wiring config, and dont use the charge jack either so forget the original - but I am pretty sure they were as above.

• 6 months later...
Well that kinda depends on what battery it is. Most Nixx based batteries will not like more than 1C - so assumng a 2500 mahr pack, thats 2.5 A - but probably kinder to use .5C ( 1.25A ) and I should think the fuse will take this easy enough. Not even sure that the fuse is  in the charging circuit....?

• 4 months later...
charge rate alone will not damage the Tx - and most NimHs will accept 1C charge rate, but as I said - try .5C which on an 110 ma battery is 550ma.

Yes, the fuse ie easily changed by the user -Take the battery out, remove the back cover by undoing the 6 self tapper screws, pull the cover away  and you will see the fuse.
Replace with same type and rating...many are "slow-blow" type fuse links., which should be available from the likes of maplin.

Thanks Timbo,
                           Fuse replaced and Tx working fine, only wished I had checked for a reply last night as missed out on a good Sunday for flying !!!

Many thanks again,
                                                             Martin

Bye the way, I think the blown fuse was caused either by trying a plug in the charge socket of an old power supply with the centre pin to positive. The P/S had not been used for years and just wanted the plug to make a charge lead, the transformers used in power supplies can have residual current in them and I think this caused the fuse to blow, OR when I had cut the plug from the P/S and plugged it into the Tx to check if there was current flowing out of the socket with a multimeter (for cycling purposes) did the multimeter cause the fuse to blow ?  Any idea's ?