Profili - Laser Cutting

Advert

Lately, I have been using Belair. A few hints though.

If you edit your files in a CAD program (I use Draftsight - (AutoCad clone and free) make sure you save as DXF 2000 format, DXF is very loosely defined and some CAD machines can't cope with later versions.

If you use Profili to generate building tabs, you will need to edit the file and remove part of the cut between the rib and the tab - otherwise the tab will not be attached to the rib (ask me how I know that)..

You may want to remove the LE and TE from the DXF file - this can be time consuming.

Profili does not optimise the positioning of wing ribs on the material that you want to cut. Its actually worthwhile creating special sizes for the output - e.g 36"x 4" (balsa) or 600mm x 300mm (ply) before you save the output. If you are a CAD designer (I am not) then (I think) its easier to move the objects around when already approximately laid out.

If you haven't already spotted it then you need the pro version of profili to export to DXF.

Good luck

Martyn

Thanks for the useful information Martyn.

I have the Pro version of Profili and like you I'm not a not a CAD designer! I'm currently using a CAD programme called BricsCAD although I have used (and may try again) Draftsight.

I do want to do some customising of the files so as to create templates for foam cutting so it looks like I may have to be prepared for some fiddling!

Thanks again (and happy Christmas)

Simon

• 1 month later...