RealFlight 7. Trainer?

Colin Anderson

Just installed RealFlight 7. Anybody else using it? I'm a complete beginner, currently building a Piper Cub; so this is what I'm trying to learn with on the simulator. I'm flying it on the realistic setting with the throws limited and about half throttle. I can achieve the takeoffs and sustained flight. However, landings are another matter. I've managed a few, but they're hard and fast and seldom exactly where I want them.

So here's the question: what's the best way to set up  RealFlight for a complete beginner? What plane would you use as a trainer in the simulator and why? Or is it possible to set up the simulator's Piper Cub to act more as a trainer, similar to the model I'm building?

Edited By Colin Anderson on 27/12/2013 17:54:34

never had real flight 7 ,, had 4.5 and now phoenix v4 as far as what plane im sure there will be dedicated trainers .ie high wing in the area of 60" span 40 glow engine ( there or there abouts) you dont want to much throw and maybe a little expo to soften things. just concerntrate on keeping the wings level when landing and remember push the transmitter stick to prop up the dropping wing when flying towards your self.. also use throttle to control height not down elevator ,then flare just before touch down, but most of all PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE im sure you will get there .

Practiced again today. Edited the Piper Cub and gave it 3 degrees dyhedral as opposed to the 2 degrees of the original. This made a huge difference and made flying so much easier! However, I eventually went back to the original 2 degrees and found I could now fly that pretty well. I seem to have developed a bias towards left hand (anti clockwise) circuits, so I've now started practicing right hand circuits. I'm finding flying right hand circuits more difficult, probably because of my bias to go to the left, but I'm getting there. I can also manage to land the plane with increasing frequency. Some of my landings are still heavy, while some I bounce before settling down. I'm still having trouble lining up with a runway, but I'm getting closer; I suspect that this has more to do with the visuals within RealFlight 7 and the perspective - both are excellent, but still not quiet as accurate as real life. There are still occasions when I have to open up the throttle and abort; I can see that in the real world I'd probably run out of fuel before I got the plane down!

Hi Marc,

I got it from Slough Radio Control Models. They have a web site if you're not local. The price is £169 with the interlink controller. They just got them in stock this week. They still have RealFlight 6.5 with expansion pack if version 7 is too expensive (about £134, I think). Check them out if your interested; they're good people to do business with. If you're local they have a demonstrator you can try.

Everyone says that these sims are a real benifit in learning to fly. At 60 (yikes!) years old and having never flown before, I have to agree. I've only been practicing on RealFlight 7 for a couple of days and already I can takeoff, do circuits and sometimes land! I've even managed the odd loop or two! Hopefully, by the time I've finished building my cub I'll be confident enough to fly it! For real!

Thanks. My quad is the first RC aircraft I've ever flown outside. When I was a child I always wanted a RC model (aeroplane), now, like you, I'm knocking on a bit smiley I see that the choice at the cheap and cheerful end is great, but that I can easily blow serious money on high-level helis/multi-rotors. It's a great website this, yesterday I didn't know what an FC was and now I think I'd like a Naza V2. Maybe I'll stick with my £30 quad for a bit, lest I be one of those unforunates who watch it sail out to sea ...

So, yes, a simulator is a great idea. How wide a range of models and how uo to date is it? Can one download new models as they appear? I assume you chose that sim as it has a Cub? It must be great being able to practice all sorts of 'what happens if I ...' without risk.

Hi Marc,

RealFlight 7 is the latest version, released in October this year I believe; so it's very up to date. As you say, serious money, but better than crashing the real thing on your first try! I bought my sim on the recommendation of my local model shop (Slough Radio Control Models) and my local R/C club. Most people seem to be using either RealFlight or Phoenix. I didn't buy RF 7 because it had a cub, that was just a fortuitous surprise! The range of models is more than enough for me; it has electric, gliders, IC, jets and even helis. Types range from trainers, park flyers, foamies, scale, high wing, low wing, biplanes, stunt, 3D, multi engine and even quads! Incidently, if you prefer helis, RF do a heli version. There is also a huge selection of flying sites, as well as various challenges, such as limbo, flying through hoops and popping balloons! You can also fly in the cockpit and fly dogfights or go online and fly with others. So all things considered it is expensive, but you do get a lot for the money.

If you feel the need, both the models and flying sites are editable. I just tried altering the dyhedral, but you can alter the size and colour also. I haven't tried it, but there is also an online community producing more models that can be downloaded and added.

Regarding updates: as far as I know these are frequent; I got one already the moment I installed!

Hi Marc, I brought the latest Phoenix v4, which quite a few peeps on this forum use and also on occasion have a group flying session! I got mine from Phil Greeno Models for just under £50 delivered, just before Christmas, you use your own transmitter via usb cable so that you get use to handling it and the tranny is no stranger when you get out to the field. I have not explored it fully yet but it has similar features to RF7, online community also developing models and flying sites. I'm pleased it and think it's worth checking out the Phoenix website before committing hard cash. Also checkout the Simulator topic under View All Topics for help, suggestions etc. 

Edited By Glenn Stratton on 29/12/2013 13:05:26

Colin: in terms of expense, I'm just looking at a beginner's video on transmitters (because I don't know whether to get one as part of a sim package or try to guess what Tx I'll want when I get a 'proper' aircraft) and I see eg a DX18 at £550 so the actual sim software at £50-80 (a tank of petrol) isn't that much. Although my main interest at the moment is helicopters, and mostly Quads, as I may want to FPV, I still like the idea of being able to 'fly' virtual aeroplanes also. I love the sound of the challenges! What are the main sim forums?

Glenn: Hi and yes the choice seems to be mostly between R7 and P4. Was this a pre-Christmas present to yourself, then? I'd really like to try both sims before deciding I suppose.

Hi Marc, yes it was, I did take a chance as I had not seen a demo of any sim. I've tried flying off water with a float plane, Tigermoth at Hurn Airport and a Wot4 & Cub from a grass strip. I want to try other rc disciplines and as there is an active Phoenix group on here I'm hoping if I encounter a problem then help isn't too far away!

Yes, at the moment I'm swayed towards the Phoenix partly as the (wonderful!) forums here would suddenly turn into a virtual flying club!

I'm also now, as I've seen the video and looked at various websites and now know (guess would be a better word) my Futaba from my Speccy and JR I'm pretty much decided on just buying the sim software, so I could potentially afford to get RF7 also. Or aybe the other way round, as the consensus *seems* to be that RF7 has the edge science wise but P4 is more 'playable'.

In terms of playability, for both sims, how great to be able to try water based aircraft, fixed wing, foam, quads etc without buying them all! I suppose maybe if the physics are a bit better in RF7 maybe I should learn to fly I on that and then get P4 later.

I'm just downloading the P4 demo as I type, I see it says it only runs on DX9 and I have DX11, but hopefully it may do something ..

Good job I'm out of work at the moment or I'd never have time for any of this!

A DX 18? Wow! Being new to R/C myself I figure 6 channels will do me for quite a while and I only need 4 of them for my cub.

The interlink controller for RF 7 acts as an 8 channel transmitter within the sim. You can buy RF 7 with an interface instead (which is cheaper) and use your own TX, but using the interlink saves wear on your TX and leaves it charged and free for the flying field. You can of course still use your own TX by connecting it to the interlink; so you'll have the best of both worlds. The interlink is set up to look and respond exactly like an 8 channel Futaba TX; the only difference is that you can't use it at the flying field.

I can't comment on the RF forums, because I haven't used them yet. It's early days yet as I've only had RF7 for a week!

Trying out both sims would be a very good idea to see which you prefer. For myself, I read the reviews for both and watched several videos on YouTube. I chose RF 7 finally as it seemed better (on paper) and, as this version only came out this year I felt it would be the most up to date. However, several members at the local club use Pheonix 4 and are quite happy with it. I guess it's all a matter of personal choice in the end.

Using RF 7 today I can now manage both left and right circuits with almost equal ease; I'm managing landings more and more often, too!

As far as I know the Phoenix Demo version does not let you actually fly the plane, it does let you test out the software on your PC and it gives you an pre-programmed demo flight so you can see what the software does and what it looks like.

I use Phoenix V4 with my DX8 and DX9 but any Spektrum radio that has a trainer port will work, the DX5e radio is a very low cost entry level non-computer radio and would work fine, or a DX6i as an entry level 6 channel computer radio with 10 model memories.

Wolston Flyer: Thanks. the P4 demo didn't run on the laptop I'm using at the moment, a DX issue, and there doesn't seem to be a demo for RF. What is a non-computer or a computer radio? Does one need computer radios to store aircraft profiles? The DX6i is a computer radio presumably? I get the impression that the DX6i is a very popular beginner's Tx?

Colin: thanks for the youtube suggestion I'd not thought of that. Check out this vid, from about 8:15, see the Tx he's using! I still prefer the idea of getting an actual Tx. I have a small brain and would find the transition between Tx1 at laptop to Tx2 in field very hard. I also have no RC equipment at the moment.

One thing, say I bought a Spectrum Tx and then wanted to buy a RTF model at some time, does that lock me into only choosing from models that have Spectrum equipment on board?

I watched your links Marc. I'm guessing they answered quite a few of your questions.

The speaker in the first video poses the question as to whether its possible to change the size of the planes; the answer is yes! However, it's not as simple as simply changing the wingspan and expecting the whole model to scale up. It doesn't work that way. You have to alter each element individually.

The second video, I guess, shows that flight sims can work. Shame about the camera work! Wrong white balance and couldn't follow the plane! It wasn't travelling that fast, was it? And I'm really not so sure about starting up that plane unrestrained though! Hmmm, health and safety would have something to say there! Mind you, the only restraint I used flying control line was someone (my poor girlfriend and now long suffering wife) hanging onto the tail! Imagine, the engine was at full revs and no silencer! Those were the days.

Edited By Colin Anderson on 29/12/2013 23:48:09

On the 2nd video: the very first thing i thought was, does that plane have a metal prop and a petrol engine, and he's starting it up right next to his balls? He also had no sleeves and bare legs. Although I've been into RC for just 3 days, I instantly saw why people say don't fly alone, join a club and also sim's are limited in what they teach you!

Hi Marc

A non-computer radio is something like the DX5e, it has switches to reverse the radio channels and only a single model memory, there is also the Futaba 4YF. They don't have an LCD screen on the front.

DX5e 4YF

Unless you are on a very tight budget I would get the next level up - an entry level computerised radio, like the Spektrum DX6i or Futaba 6EX , both are popular entry level radio's.

If you went for a Futaba radio I think you will need an extra adapter cable because Futaba use a different type of trainer port to Spektrum.

Each system is only compatible with it's own brand of receiver, you cannot bind a Spektrum radio to a plane that has a Futaba receiver.

I ended up going down the Spektrum route because all of the "Bind and Fly" planes and small helicopters that are available for Spektrum.. all of the Parkzone and Hobbyzone Bind and Fly planes and Blade Helicopters / quadcopters will bind to Spektrum radios (they are all the same company, Horizon Hobbies), who also make the Pheonix simulator.

You can get Phoenix V4 with a DX6i as a set which might help.

WF:

Ok, thanks I'll get the entry level computer radio. I'm still deciding on P4 or RF7, people seem very split as to which they prefer. I suppose it doesn't matter hugely, they look fun in their own right, but I must remember they're just means to an end. What you say about Horizon Hobbies does seem to push towards the Spektrum, but I'll look at other radio systems too.

I certainly think RF7 looks visually great, and most comments seem to think it has the edge on the physics of things.

I managed to run my Quad into my bare legs when I was flying it in a dressing gown, that's why I think full-length clothes are good :}.

Colin: I'm surprised you haven't wanted to try that! I can see the advtange of having a dedicated unit for the sim too.

Hi Marc,

The Interlink really is a good solution. It's exactly like a real TX and saves wear and tear on your own; plus you can keep your own TX for the flying field and know that it's fully charged! At some point I probably will try my own TX, but as I said, I've only had RF 7 for about a week.

The consensus of those I spoke to do say that the physics of RF is better. However, a big point of these sims is to develop muscle memory and I reckon either sim would do that equally well.

Whoopee! Made three perfect landings today on the sim, so I'm making progress! As a reward I thought I'd try to fly some of the other planes. Tried one of the stunt models; I found it surprisingly easy, as it was far more responsive to control inputs. Next I tried a jet! This wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be; however, it got very small very quickly and I couldn't work out its orientation. Needless to say, after making several circuits, I crashed it! Lastly I tried one of the twin engined bombers; this was very easy to fly, very easy to see its orientation and landing it was a breeze - easier than the cub!

This RF 7 is getting to be real fun!

Well done! It does sound good, and I take the point about muscle memory. I think things vanishing into the distance is a great reasn for practising with sims! I'd be mortified if my new model just flew off (no to mention the though of me having efftectively launched an unguided missile). Talking of jets:

**LINK**

How do people transport things that size I wonder. I've just ordered an extra Quad, once I'm a bit more proficient I'll get a sim.

Hi Marc,

Exellent video. Thanks for that. It illustrates my point exactly. That was a pretty big jet (although I've seen biger) but did you notice how quickly it got small and more difficult to work out its orientation? I saw some flying at a show this year. Although not really my kind of plane I have to say that they were truly awesome to watch and the flying was impeccable. One of the planes I saw flying cost in excess of 15,000!

At the same show that I saw the jets flying a guy had an aircraft that was 80% scale! Imagine transporting that! It did fly, briefly, before ending up in the undergrowth on the other side of the runway!

Whatever sim you decide on I hope you have as much fun as I am. Happy New Year mate.