Wot 4 Xtreme

Anyone out there built a wot 4 extreme ? If so how did you manage to get the C of G ? Mine has a DLE 55 up front with a MTW td75 can across the suggested C of G point. Ignition and receiver batteries ,ignition receiver all as far forward as they will go and I still have to put 200 grams of lead at the prop end of the cowl to get it at the back end of 110 - 120 mm balance point. I dont want to put that amount of lead on it . Any suggestions indecision

Advert

I'm afraid you will have to put as much up front as it needs... You have no option but to balance it at the suggested CG or else it will not fly...(well it will, but probably only once...!)

When you say you have put lead at the front of the cowl, do you mean actually in the cowl? If so, this is not a good idea, as the cowl is flexible and the lead won't be secure. Best to place all lead ballast in behind the firewall where it can't move. (Or screw it to the front of the firewall or engine box).

Edited By simon barr on 29/12/2013 09:34:35

200 grams won't make much difference in flying due to it''s size. Although I haven't put mine together yet, would be using 2x 3600mah sub c Nimh's for the radio via a powersafe switch and the 2600 mah ignition nimh.

The Wot4XL I have never needed any extra weight, we'll see how this goes...

The CofG on the Wot Extreme is 110-120mm from the leading edge.

• 1 month later...

Been putting my Xtreme together. As mentioned in another thread, the problems were:

Not enough large horn mounts for the ailerons and flaps, also not enough screws for said devices. had to use some Dubro large horns, as they have long screws and covers.

The tail knuckle hinges were too small, again, I have some large Dubro knuckle types in stock, so used them. Thank goodness for hoarding stuff!

The M3 clevis were rubbish, seems very loose on the thread and the pins fell out NOT GOOD!!! In the bin they go and luckily have loads of decent ones.

I don't like the look of the firewall and side walls. Glued ok, but put a single-cylinder pulsing petrol engine here, and it will break. Looking to put some fibreglass matting round here. Also screws.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 09/02/2014 16:12:16

Had similar problem myself so contacted Ripmax and they told me that there was an amendment to the instructions ,this solved the screw and horn problem. No problem with knuckle hinges all fitted well. did not use the clevises used ball joints with nyloc nuts and bolts instead. As for the firewall mine seems ok but time will tell on this one.

Since the instruction manual was printed there has been a change to
the installation of the Aileron/Flap control horns. The manual shows
these horns being fitted using long machine screws into backing
plates on the upper surfaces of the ailerons/flaps, but this has now
been amended to the use of self tapping screws (supplied) into ply
plates in the underside of the ailerons/flaps. Due to this no backplates or machine screws are required and
as such are not now supplied.

Edited By Mark Hancock on 09/02/2014 19:02:26

Edited By Mark Hancock on 09/02/2014 19:04:12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I built this wot last year with all the same problems bad parts kit I only used the fuel tank everything

Apart from that went in the bin, I put a mt 57cc on the plane and fire wall is still ok after 6 flights

The landing gear mount is weak had to make this stronger

As for cg I put it at 125mm for first flight with around 350 grams of lead up front

Plane flew very nose heavy so removed spinner and around 200 grams of lead

Cg now is at around 130mm

Think I might remove the cg back more yet hope this helps

Also anyone set any thrust line changes on this ? found it pulled left a bit so put some right thrust on it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Little update

Been flying mine a while now and I am very pleased with it. A lot of the lead in the nose has been removed and C of G is now at 130mm back from leading edge.The DLE55 has enough power to do all the things I want it to do.My son has managed to prop hang it,and do other crazy manovers with it. The only real complant is of the covering which is comming away under the plane near the engine bulkhead, other than that it still looks good. Has anyone had to match the covering yet and if so what did you get to match it? The nearest thing I can find is oracover pink but the computer dose not give exact matches as I have found in the past. Any help matching it would be great.smiley

• 1 year later...

Hi chaps, Ive just brought the wot 4 xtreme, After reading the posts about the c of g and measuring the the c of g on the wing seemed a bit short from the leading edge, Question please, Does it definitely fly ok with the c of g at 130mm from the leading edge, I dont want to go home with a kit, if you know what i mean,

Cheers.