airfix kits competition

I purchased 2 tins of "ye olde oake hotdogs" from Iceland for £1. The tins have got a code printed under the label to win 1 of 250 airfix sets. They are the 1/72 starter sets of RAF red arrows hawk,spitfire mk1a,messerschmitt Bf109E-3. Plus you get the 2014 airfix catalogue. which is the biggest I`ve seen for a while. 160 pages big I just entered my 2 codes in the on-line competition form and hey presto 1 was a winner. I often wondered iff it was a con but I`ve changed my mind now, The 3 kits are roughly worth £30 and the catalogue £3.99. Not bad for a quid, I wonder what the odds of winning a set are? only 250 across all the brands and shared out with the whole country. Thankyou Ye olde oake and airfix.

nice airplanes paul, but surely 1 picky would have been enough? It wasnt intended to be a thread to display airfix models just to highlighjt a competition that other people may be interested in.Most people would have got the jest of your intention and then we could have all gone and taken a look at your albums. they are very nice

I shall be getting some more dogs next week so I will post the tin no. on this thread and 1st come can have the number to try their luck cheers all

You mean the paint in the kits..?

The paint you get with the sets are really rubbish. It's water based and if I were you, would chuck them away and buy the professional Airfix paint pots.

The reason is that the water based is so thin and weak, which makes a poor job of the finish. The oil based Airfix ones usually on need one coat and last forever.

The winning tin, the code was MRK 65069755. And code -john, yes normally have a tin with beans on toast for brekky (or dinner sometimes iff i`m peckish teeth 2 paul I have never actually used the waterbased ones before so as these models were freebies I thought I would try them out for myself and assess the results. personally I am a solvent man. However saying that I cannot see humbrol ruining their reputation if the paints wernt up to scratch. will let you how i got on with them

keith

I would try the free paints on something else first - before ruining your model. I've build all those models with the solvent based paints, and all went on well.

Problem is the water paints are just toys - for kids to use, as most models get poorly done, and a bad job is ok, as the model will normally get broken, anyway.

The numbers are the same, Red Arrows red, is Number 19, for example.