TN 72" Lancaster build.

Advert

Hi Baza.

For covering i use heavyweight tissue and poly c .

sanding sealer first, then tissue is placed on dry and the polyc slopped over the top, starting from the center of the piece of tissue and working out to the edges.

leave to dry for an hour, then slop another two coats leaving half hour between them for drying.

light sand to take out any creases and then i can paint and stick on any decals.

three more coats to seal the paint and decals and add a bit more strength.

job done.

then go crash i mean fly. laugh

Well the fuselage has had the first coat of paint applied.
started painting the glazing as well.
need to finish off the nacelles and fit the cowls at some point, then it is final fitting time i suppose.
though i am running out of steam at the moment, so i think a weekend off from building is in order.
more to come monday night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Being 72" span and the full size being 102', I assume it's 1/17 scale. The fuselage length of the Lanc is 67' and at 1/17 it would be a fraction under 48". Looking at Tony Nihuis's web-site I see the length is reported at 51", which at that scale, adds over 4' to the full-size and would make it over 72' long. Therefore either the measurements reported are wrong, or Tony has modified the design slightly, I assume to improve the flying qualities, although I can't see it would have been a problem anyway.

Regardless, it looks brilliant.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 04/04/2014 19:26:26

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Very nice build, i fancy doing on myself as my next project and wanted to do a lincolnshire (Waddington) based machine, looks like yours is going to be Just Jane judging by the squadron code.

I feel a bit rude saying this so hope you won't be offended but i am not sure about the proportions of the colours on that fuselage roundel, i could be wrong and you might have some photographs that depict it that way. It would be a shame to spoil a lovely model over such a minor detail.

Have a look at this to see what i mean,

http://www.randomnotes.co.uk/Aviation/img/Lincs2009/JustJane09.jpg

Best Regards,

Matt

Edited By Matt Holmes on 24/04/2014 19:58:13