World Models Dago Red P51

Jon Laughton

Advert

They are plastic trunnioned cheap and basic mechanical units - mine has been operating from grass for several years and they haven't missed a beat!

Oddly, one of the legs seemed a bit soft - it sometimes bent enough on taxi and take-off to cause the wheel to foul the wheel well when I retracted it but after quite a few straightenings (I knocked up a bending tool for the flightbox) it seems to have work hardened and has remained straight for a long time now.

Mine flies very nicely on a 46 AX although it would be even better with the 55

It flies like it's on rails and is at its best doing large scale type manoeuvres. Seems a very well constructed and robust ARTF with a very nice fibreglass fuselage. Mine survived a flat out touch and go - with the undercarriage up - when I got a bit overconfident and just removed both prop blades and the radiator which only needed the wooden braces gluing back in!

Sounds like it does what its claimed to do so will be investing in one! I note that the on line manual gives quite small deflections for the ailerons - Martin is this how yours is set up?

John - good luck with the repair: I'd like to know how you get on when she's back flying..

Cheers Guys

Jon

I haven't checked the manual but mine are set at about 5/16 (or 8mm) either way. This gives plenty of control for "appropriate" flying for the model.

I had an "interesting" moment with the model when one aileron lead pulled out of the receiver and left one of the ailerons deflected at pretty much full movement - as I corrected the roll it pitched significantly and my first thought was battery failure but it was controllable with pretty much full aileron applied and quite a bit of elevator (to counter the pitching effect of 2 ailerons deflected the same way in level flight).

I landed wheels up immediately, still suspecting imminent radio failure but on approaching it the problem was obvious. The reason it pulled out? Contrary to my normal practice I'd made a nice "loom" of all the receiver connections and I think the G loading on the combined weight had pulled on it and thankfully it was a single aileron lead that was the shortest...

As a bonus, if you ever have to land wheels up, you'll find that the radiator will withstand a reasonable landing without damage on grass!

• 1 year later...

Iv got one, I ran an asp 90 same size as the 60 in mine a big nose heavy but flew lovely unfortunately it's damaged when the engine quit on take off, in the air it was great but it needs respect on landing, mine liked to tip stall when slow but come in a little bit faster and it was really smooth, the undercarriage was pants it bent when I left in in a room on its gear for a weekend .... Would 100% change them straight away for electrics, if I could work out to photos on id put some up lol