April 2014 electronic issue problems

Kevin Wright

I usualy read my electronic issue on an iPad, which works reasonably well. I've just tried it on a PC and I must admit if I tried it there first I wouldn't have bothered with a subscription. The April 2014 issue is particularly bad and is so over compressed it is unreadable.

Advert

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum!

I've just checked my downloaded copy on the PC and it doesn't appear any different to any other issue - on a 21" monitor, with a bit of scrolling to enlarge the type, it's all perfectly legible.

Are you saying that magnifying the page still doesn't make it readable?

Pete

I've just checked it and fine for me too.

What I have noticed is this: the reader seems to work by loading and displaying a very low res version of the page and then (usually pretty well immediately) it loads the full version. Once or twice I have see it sort of "get stuck" on the low res version. Its not common, but it has happened to me. Maybe this it what you have experienced Kevin?

The cure is to just exit and reenter the mag - then all is fie as usual.

But I'd state categorically that the PC version in no way seems symptomatically inferior to the iPad version as far as I am concerned

BEB

We'll as every one is not seeing this, I am running windows 8.1 64bit and I've tried both IE and Chrome. The first time I click on a page it does zoom in, although images remain horribly jagged. Try to move to another page and all you get is a magnified low res view. This does only seem to occur on the latest issue.

On magazines that work OK on my PC, when viewed on my iPad I can see a normal view of a complete A4 page that is perfectly readable, and I can then zoom in to this. My 24" PC monitor is perfectly capable of displaying 2 A4 pages side by side, but the only way I can get a page is that is readable is to blow it up so big I can't see the whole page. Also the pictures are still lower res than the iPad. So the PC version has definitely been dummed down for some reason.

OK I was confused, I didn't think RCM&E used pocketmags as I couldn't see my RCM&E subscription under pocket mags on my PC.

So I tried to logon to pocketmags again on my PC - no joy even if I changed my password. Contacted pocket mags and they fixed that very quickly, at the weekend.

Could now logon again, but still no RCM&E subscription. Contacted pocket mags again, took them nearly a week to fix this one. Could now see RCM&E but was not impressed with the reader (silverlight) - so much wasted screen space.

Installed Windows 8 pocketmags app and boy what a difference. Now I can see two pages side by side, filling the screen, and easier to read than on my iPad, without zooming in! At last something Windows 8 is good for!

So thanks for your help, but why isn't there a link from this site to pocketmags? Unless I just can't see it. And I do recommend everyone with Windows 8 to install the app. Maybe you could make this clear to all users somewhere?

Kevin