Modules

David Keil

Advert

hello David...the way I understand it all is the TX will do all that its supposed to-- i.e....control the model--the modules that normally plug into the back will be available in different spec's to suit the various version's of 2.4ghz available......its available like this so that some one who has a particular brand of radio gear can change over to a TX and simply buy a module to suit his system and so carry one using the same equipment.... hope that this basic explanation makes sense for you...

ken anderson ne..1 .........makes sense dept..

Hi David. Some radios [and I'm pretty sure the 9xr is one - anyone confirm?] come without a module. They have no capacity to transmit. The idea is that you purchase a compatible module that will allow you to use the protocol that you want to use. You could use the 9xr with a DSMX module from orange, or an FRsky module, or a... well the list is quite long. The 9xr looks to be a bargain, but you have to add the cost of whatever module you plan to use. [I'm pretty sure I'm right on that - but confirmation would be nice!]

Some radios come with internal modules but no opportunity to add another module. The Spektrum Dx6i, DX7s, Dx8 etc would fall into this category. Once you buy one you must buy receivers that use the protocols that the transmitters use.

Other radios [like the Frsky Taranis that I have just purchased] have both an internal module and the capacity to add and external mode in a slot. The advantage of this is that I can use the FRsky receivers with my radio, but I can add a module to allow me to fly my Bind and Fly models which use the Spektrum DSMX protocol. That's exactly what I plan to do! [Anyone interested in a DX7s or any of my DSMX receivers? wink]

GiantShark had Taranis in stock last week [That's how I got one!] It's superb and great value.. but rewards the geek! Well worth looking at... but if you find stock, don't hang around!

Edited By GrahamC on 20/03/2014 11:30:59

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/03/2014 11:52:34:

Well as a recent convert to Taranis I can certain confirm that it is worth a very good looking at indeed and treating as a serious candidate. Its an impressive transmitter.

BEB

I'll second that! I've just received an Orange DSM module for mine and all seems ok so far. £20 ish well spent if you have DSM Bind n fly models.

I have to say, being just three days into Taranis ownership, and having got over the steepest bit of the learning curve that it is absolutely astonishing for the money.

I just can't get over how far ahead of the more mainstream competition it is.... And how hard it is to imagine a legitimate function that it isn't capable of doing, I keep discovering new things to add to my first model setup and thinking "what a brilliant feature."

If you can find one, and can afford it, there is simply nothing that comes remotely close at the price.