the box kite

Hi All.

Here is my latest experimental.

dscf5656 (640x480).jpg

dscf5658 (640x480).jpg

I'm trying to see just how slow a slow flyer I can come up with! Due to the limitations of my building methods, I have so far been unable to build a small electric with a wing loading under 2oz (all though my seal pup comes close). I thought I would instead try a very high aspect wing and wrap it around to keep the model a managable size! This works out at 60" span with a 3" cord. weight 17oz, static thrust of 7oz. For a comparison, I used this model as my trial horse.

dscf5295 (640x480).jpg

60" inch by 6" wing, so same wing area. static thrust is the same, but weight is 14 oz. The new one flies well and can fly slower on a higher wing loading at the same power. (It is also is less inclined to tip stall)

dscf5677 (640x480).jpg

dscf5678 (640x480).jpg

dscf5680 (640x480).jpg

Rudder/ele/thr.

Quite happy with it I think, even if it's somewhat ungainly!

regards Lynn

Advert

RLG

Very interesting and beautiful 'atmospheric' pictures!

I think you neatly discovered the drawback of a closely spaced biplane wing. A lower wing loading does not automatically mean a lower stall speed. wink 2

I suspect if you had built in more stagger (and possible more decalage as well) to the wings and maintained it at a constant value all the way, the wing tips would almost become a 'slotted flap' and maybe less likely to stall at all.

Thanks for the comments.

It was a bit of a battle to persuede my partner to take the photos, but it was worth the effort!

John, The plane is all polystyrene, with tape covering, and a minimum of timber spars.

Simon. You are quite right, there is no stagger to the wings, and the incidence is the same upper and lower. It would be quite interesting to play with leading edge slats..

The other thing that I have been experimenting with, in my last few models (seal pup {front lawn 'leckie} LBS,) is using an under cambered tail plane and motor up thrust, in order to gain more lift. The result is as you open the throttle, you feed in down elevator, and the model climbs very quickly in a level attitude. C of g is at the normal location.

This model has a geared 380 can, and a 11 x 4.7 prop on a 1300mah 3s. She has surplus power, so I may try her on a 2s 500mah, which would knock a couple of onces off. I've only had the one flight so far, rather breezy at the moment, but look forward to putting her through her paces.

thanks.

Lynn

Well, I can't complain about today's weather. One of those rare perfect flying days, flat calm! Yay. Had four flying sessions with four different planes. (No, I didn't keep breaking them!)

Put the box kite through her paces, this time on the two cell. Perfectly adequate! The GWS web site gives my combination of motor/gearbox/prop 6oz static thrust (I measured 5oz) on two cells. The weight came down to just under 16oz ( I have to make a plug adapter, to use the 500mah, so I used a 1300 2s instead) The climb was good, and she would cruise around happily at a little over half throttle. Not too bad at all!wink