DB sportand scale spitfire

David  Kennerley

Advert

Hi Dave, you can add flaps to the original wing, you can even add the 'Spitfire gull' trailing edge at the root without to much issue. My flaps were fitted after the wing was sheeted, but the thinking was done before I started any of it so I knew (ish) that it would work. The foam was removed completely from where the flaps would be and a spar added to hang the hinges off. I moved the wing mounting bolts forward to hide them under scale panels. My mods were all done after studying the Brian Taylor MkI Spitfire plans, since the design work is all done, we just need to resize it all to fit the DB wing. I'd definately fit flaps, makes landing so much easier and scale like! I'll see if I can find some pics but it was years ago so don't hold your breath!!!

Ian.

• 3 weeks later...

Some pics of the mods I made to a rebuild DB Spit with foam wing.

Much as Ian (Reg) says, cut away all the foam and drop in a spar to fix the hinges too. I simply cut away the underside down to the top skin veneer and removed all the foam. Glued in a new hard balsa spar from 6mm wide sheet cut to depth and then fixed robart hinges at 45 degrees leaving just the hinge point proud of the surface.

004.jpg

004b.jpg

I went for 4 section flaps and the connections between flaps are just tube glued into the main flap with a rod fixed to the inner so that it slides in the tube so both flaps of each wing are operated by just one servo.

013a.jpg

Servo's were mounted in the underside of the wing aft of the retract wells and wires run through / under the retract wells to hide the wires.

Well worth the effort and not as big a job as it first feels.

022a.jpg

Linds

• 1 year later...