Advice on flying site

Dear all,

We are a secondary school based on the Wirral. We have a Nitro JP prankster.

Our school site is surrounded by lots of things, but notably two busy main roads... Would someone like to offer advice if you look on google satellite images at postcode CH43 7QT - the site is the big green bit bound by hoylake road, bidston village road, Lennox lane and fender lane. The school is single story so not a high rise hazard!

We have access to all the green bit and there are no footpaths within the fields.

I have written confirmation that flying will be covered by our school liability cover but I have to do a risk assessment, including a site one which is currently as long as my arm.

there are local clubs but if we can fly on 'our' site it would be excellent. There are always risks I know, and for example a model crashing in the road could be serious, but so long as the likelyhood is not high it will be permitted.

Any know of any case history of model aircraft vs main road aciedents?

Thanks in advance,

Greg..

ou

Advert

Have you contacted the BMFA Greg?
They have the experience, factual information and access to educational programmes that you need.

www.bmfa.org

Well done to you for introducing the hobby into a school, more of this should be done around the country. The science and engineering lessons alone are memorable and inspiring.

I've had a look myself on Google Maps/Streetview and I wouldn't personally fly any IC (nitro) powered aircraft from the field due to the proximity of the roads and housing. Personally I would only recommend an experienced model pilot fly a small electric foam plane from that field, so as to keep it slow, close by and not be near or overfly any cars, houses, roads or people.

Perhaps there are a few local clubs in your area that would help out?

-----------------------------------
Oooh, now there's a good offer below, I'd highly recommend you speak to BEB laugh

Edited By Allan Bowker on 29/03/2014 11:09:31