How Much Does a Taranis Weigh?

JAMES S

Hi,

I've not found this information on the specification sheet for the Taranis so wondered if a forum member with one would mind weighing theirs?

The reason I'm asking is I'm flying gliders increasingly these days particularly DLG's and find that the weight of a Spectrum DX-7 feels a bit heavy in one hand ( at 876 grams ) when I've got about 100 grams of an Elf DLG in the other.

I'm also considering a Taranis as the cost of stepping up to a Spectrum DX-9 which will give me all the glider mixes I could want for 4 wing servo electric gliders is double that of a Taranis

thanks

James

Advert

Mine weighs 844g with the stock battery and the strap standoff fitted.

I've just moved from the DX7s. The Taranis is an awesome radio once you have your mind around how the programming works. A bit of a steep learning curve to start with, but once you understand what is going on, it is very elegant, and really will do anything you can think of.

Hi James, my Taranis has an Orange module in it plus the 2000mAh battery and weighs exactly 900g so it'd be around the same weight as the DX7 without the module. However it is an amazing transmitter once you get the hang of programming it and start to think outside of how the mainstream machines work.

At the moment many of the receivers are in short supply and the one you would probably want to use with the Elf doesn't do telemetry (VD5M) I just use a cheap Orange Rx micro 4 channel one in mine and it works well with the Tx module.

Chris

Hi James - no lighter, but one hell of a transmitter! I agree with Graham - the flexibility is such that you really seem to be only limited by your imagination. No more devising clever "work-rounds" to get the rigid programming of the Tx to do what you want - just decide what you want and do it! Simple as that.

Some people are saying its very difficult to program - I don't agree. Its different to program that's for sure. If you approach it as "just another Tx" you will fall foul of it. But if you come to it with an open mind, read the literature, watch Scott Pages short videos, and its no problem to learn. In no time you'll being doing complex mixes in a fraction of the time it would take with most other systems.

Factor in the price and in my view its a no-brainer!

BEB

Thank you all so much for the replies! I've weighed mine with the strap attachment on which is probably why my weight is so close to GrahamC's and a bit heavier then Wolstonflyer's.

The note from CNorton is very useful about the type of Rx for an Elf. I'm not too bothered about telemetry for DLG'ing but knowing a good replacement for the uncased 6100e Rx I've currently got in it is very useful.

BEB - I've not watched Scott's videos yet but think I probably will be able to overcome the so called 'complexity' of it. It took me a while to understand why things I wanted to do on the DX-7 were not possible due to 'hidden' limitations of switches and mixes. I'm sure once I've got the core understanding of the open source programming I'll be fine. I've got a couple of decades experience in IT so have read several hundred manuals in my time!

Andrew Ray - lovely guide.........finding it difficult to avoid buying one now....

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 02/04/2014 21:48:07:

My kitchen scales say the Taranis weighs 792 grams, without the strap thing installed.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 02/04/2014 21:50:04

I would strongly recommend fitting that strap thing even if you don't use a strap. I inadvertently switched mine off when groping for the elevator trim (Mode 2) with my left hand. To be fair I wasn't familiar with the conventional type of transmitter as I've been using a spacious Mux 3030 for some years and my fingers sometimes have difficulty understanding what my brain tells them to do (long story). Anyway that strap attachment offers a convenient switch shield for no cost.

My number 2 Taranis weighs 793 grams with the 800mAh battery (which is good for a day's flying easily.  My number 1 Taranis (the one I repaired) weighs in at 908 grams with 2500mAh Instant battery (which lasts for ever!) and a FlySky module fitted.  I no longer own a DX6i but I remember it felt very light. I was always slightly concerned that relying on spring loaded contacts for 6(?) primary cells could be a problem.  If I'd used it for outdoor models I'd had done something about that even though it seemed reliable.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 06/04/2014 12:42:04

Hi Geoff, I habitually use a strap these days since nearly dropping a transmitter whilst trying to scratch my nose of something like that a few years back! Fortunately I didn't crash but since then have always had a neck strap on.

Taranis ordered last week, couldn't resist any longer. Purchased the bundle with an 8 channel Rx which I'll use to set up a old electric Multiplex Cularis. This full house electric glider was the first aircraft that my DX 7 struggled with as its got crow braking and flaps. On the old DX 7 I had to use a simple switch for power - either full on or nothing. So it will be a good test case for how the Taranis is to program and use.

James

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 02/04/2014 21:50:04

I would strongly recommend fitting that strap thing even if you don't use a strap. I inadvertently switched mine off when groping for the elevator trim (Mode 2) with my left hand.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I use mine on a tray but the balancer thingy makes switching the Tx on and off to be a very deliberate act. Nearly found out the hard way before fitting it!