Phase 6 Wings

Hi All

Before I buy my first soarer a CF Phase 6 Pro I would like to Know If I can buy and fit the wing from a 'Sport' also . Has any one any experience of fitting a electric motor or power pod to one of these as it is a bit flat where I live .There is a rise of sand dunes near me at about 15 feet high and 100 yards across and the wind is pretty strong across them.Would I get any lift from this?

After twenty years of glow power I,ve finaly got hooked.Cheers

Advert

The "Pro" wing is Symetrical and the "Sport" wing is semi-symetrical (i.e flatter underside). You can build the fuselage to accepted the PRO wing (the sides are cut to the shape of the underside of the wing) and if you fit a sport wing you add a fairing to the wing bottom to fill out the gap that the flat underside leaves (using the bits of fuselage side that you cut out / didn't fit, when fitting the PRO wing. The only difference in the two kits is the wing profile - the instructions and parts are all there to be able to swap between wings.

The pro wing needs good lift conditions to stay up where as the sport wing is more versatile (the downside been reduced aerobatic performance when inverted). If your site does not have a lot of lift then the sport wing gives you a chance of scratching around to stay up and in good lift is still fully aerobatic. There are probably better choices if you are intending to fit a power source - but others will be able to give more helpfull information about "motor gliders" than me.

IMO the P6 Pro would be a waste of money for your slope, the Sport wing version would be much better but even that might not be suitable. Something like a Speedo is better in lighter winds but it has no rudder & electrifying it would be difficult if not impossible.
Another possibility is the HK Phoenix 2000, I've seen some impressive videos of someone flying one from dunes but have no personal experience of the model.

I am going to do the sensible thing and buy the Sport version instead with the ambition of moving onto a Vector 3 when I can aford it.I think travelling around is going to be a big part of my new venture.I have enjoyed climbing great hills in Scotland and places like the Lake District and seen paragliders taking of on the summit and it never accurd to me I could have been doing my favourite hobby at the same time.Thanks

• 1 month later...

If you haven't got round to gluing the wings together just yet!! ( I guess you have maidened her by now) Why not consider re cutting the wing roots. The roots come pre cut with a swept back leading edge. I re cut my roots to have an almost perpendicular (to the fuse) LE and swept forward TE.

This affects the CoG and reduces the amount of nose weight required, improves light lift performance and looks a lot more modern. I'm no expert but this modification makes no noticeable difference to the planes overall aerobatic capabilities other than you don't need quite so much lift.

p6.jpg

Quite a different look to the normal P6 wing plan