engine for a tutor 40 mk2

david chapman 4

Advert

I am in thamesmead and part of a bmfa association club my tutor is mark taylor he has jets but he will help to train us for flying and i go with bob who is using the tutor to fly he has been at it for a short while its there recommendation because we often take off crosswind and land on that field but it can be an expensive learning curve and that is before it is off the ground

well with the kind help of stevo we checked the engine and after 2 minutes it fired up on full revs and after 2 minutes shut it down to tick over and it sang in a constant tone no quivering perfect so it is now in the fuselage bolted down the first servo in checked the throttle all working brill you need friends and stevo is a good friend

• 2 weeks later...

Not as daft as it sounds... cool

When we had it here it worked just fine, so we know the drive washers and prop washer etc. are there. You can really lean on the spanner - the shaft is hardened steel and will take it.

Never lost a prop on a two stroke yet - did loose a prop on a spinner on a backfiring 4S though... spinner hit me in the thigh and the bruise was around 3" across, missing my manhood by a couple of inches. crying

Edited By Stevo on 05/05/2014 14:50:45

Locktite on a crankshaft prop nut eh.... NO! <wagging of the finger follows...> fist

Indeed if it's hydraulically locked (i.e. very much flooded) and the prop nut is not quite tight enough it will spin off. At least it saves a bent con rod!

Follow John's instruction for relieving a 'locked' engine, or as it's a trainer with all the engine visible and accessible, whip the glow plug off (DONT LOOSE THE COPPER WASHER) and use the engine starter to blow it out. And, blow it out you will... take care.

Lean on that spanner dear boy... lean on that spanner... and talking of which... use a ring spanner , not an adjustable.!