Paint disaster

I bought an 'old stock' Escale Waco biplane, 1m wingspan, seriously easy assemble, nice little plane. Covered in the worst factory applied stickers I have ever seen. Creased, bubbly, and on the .............not even straight! No problem, pull them off and tidy up. Of course they pull off the micro thin existing paintwork but I was going to respray anyway. So I will paint as I disassemble, starting with top wing. After very carefully masking up cabane and interplane strut holders I gave the top of the wing a coat of grey acrylic primer, I have spare brand new car paint. Very slight orange peel but not even worth sanding so onward. 2 more coats of primer and then satin black acrylic car spray.

Wow ! It has eaten into the entire wing surface until I could use the wing as a surform blade. It is still useable, just, but too severe too even sand smooth.

I have used acrylic paint on foamies before, completely repainting a Dynam Spitfire to a neat camo job, no probs at all! This is now a nice little plane that I will fly....provided no one else is around to see it, what a shame.

What on earth happened, any ideas anyone?

Advert