Suggestion for a smallish quad frame

Robert Alexander 1

Dear friends,

my first quad is self built with the spars made of two 10mm square section (1mm wall thickness) 40 cm segments which dovetail at their intersection (thus leaving only a 5 mm C in each).

This design has revealed not strong enough (at least for a crash prono newb like me) and I'm tiring of having to rebuild spars from times to times.

I'm therefore thinking about buying a read-made frame to host my KK controller, the battery, the receiver and satellite and if possible some sort of cushioned place for a Mobius cam (no money nor real need for a full suspended gimbal).

Sturdy landing skids would be a real plus so I can sometimes fly off grass.

Current size I like, around 40cm would be ok, I want to use 9045 props. If the quad can be quickly folded to travel it would be GREAT !

Any suggestions for good frames ?

Thank you very much.

Advert

Nice! Got slide bolt holes so can take a range of motors.

The long and the short of it is that there are loads of frames to chose from. Just make sure the bolt hole spacing matches your motors and that the weight is also suitable for your motor/prop combo. Depending on what you buy they seem to be reasonably priced so if you have a terminal crash should not cost an arm or a leg to replace the frame.

I like the first a lot and read good reviews on HK but cannot quite understand where I'd put the 3S battery.

The second looks nice with a lot more space and generous landing skids to fly on tarmac (a plus for me) but leaves me wondering how sturdy it might be, since I'm still in the early learning phase

Third really looks flimsy, and I bet those motor mounts would bend/snap very easily.

Thanks a lot for sharing !

Robert

That wood frame is very neat!

If you know anyone with a CNC cutting machine you could get a one piece quad frame designed and cut out of some ply. Saw a Youtube vid of such a frame, it was awesome to see how quick the whole cutting process was. Can't find that vid unfortunately.

The one I have currently is self built (by another guy, but due to crashing I had to dismantle it and rebuild one of the aluminum spars myself.

Wonder if there are files lying around for a CNC machine. I do not have friends with one but there's a guy selling wood nearby that offers CNC cuts as a service (hopefully not too expensive for a small batch).

Would love to understand the weight of the wooden version as opposed to the aluminum/carbin fiber I have now and the relative strength.

Josip, the one you indicated looks cool but can you give feedback on its robusteness ?

Thank you all. Will be offline for the next week, far from the forum and my quad traveling with my little family.

See you in May !

Thank you all !!!

Robert

Robert,

I have one of the top frames ready built and flying really beautifully for sale if you want.

RC timer motors and ESCs

Kk2 flight controller running v1.6 and with great PIDs

9x5 props on it, (powerfull and quiet)

Blue and red LEDs on the arms for orientation.

Looking for about £120 posted.

If your interested let me know and I'll do a quick video so you can see how it flies.

Chris

Hey Chris,

that could be an interesting idea I'd love to see the video even though it's not really necessary since I trust your words 110%

I would need a battery and receiver on top to fly it, right ? Could I pay you via PayPal ? Would the shipment have some form of tracking (Italian postal service can be a drag, I've just received an hoodie for my daughter sent from the UK on April 1st TODAY !!!

Let me know (but as I've written will be back in a week).

Take care.

Robert

Sorry, I forgot to list the reciever it's an orange DSM2 so it'll bind straight to your Dx7 (have I remembered that right?)

The trouble with batteries is that the UK postal service is reluctant to take them and because they're heavy they bump the postage up a lot. Best bet would be to get them from hobby kings European warehouse. 

Paypals no problem and I'll make sure the package is a tracked on for you.

I'll sort a video tomorrow and link it here for you but it is a nice flying quad, it's just surplus to requirements as I have a 3D multiWii model that flys very similar.

Edited By Chris Jones 7 on 24/04/2014 20:36:26

Thanks Tony, I must admit I have been really impressed with this one and thought about keeping it. However on returning to it after flying my Armattans it is a little under powered for how I like to fly!

The settings are v1.6 on a KK2.0 board. I think it is the stock PIDs with maybe a little tweaking on the yaw to get it flatter. I run a stick scaling of 90 along with 30% expo in the TX which I find gives me the right balance of manoeuvrability and precision. The biggest change in this quad was when I switched from Gemfan 8x4.7 props to the HQ nylon mix 9x5s, it just suddenly came alive. It will double and triple flip given enough height but the recovery is just not quite as instant as with the Armattans.

Basically it's a great all round quad with enough power to lift a GoPro, (there's a mount on the bottom) and enough manoeuvrability to be fun. It's been my go to model for quite a while.