What kind of plane for high gusty winds?

GrahamWh

Well thank you all for your thoughts. This is obviously something we have all thought about quite a bit as we've fought the weather at our fields.

I may design one based around some of these principles when I pick out the common threads or look at getting something like a WOT4 (though I would modify the fuse as I find it so ugly!). Heavy and fast would be okay if I had a really sturdy undercarriage I think rather than taking the light and belly land option. If I keep the wing shape simple it won't take too long to make or repair, so maybe not a tapered wing? The WOT4 has a high wing, but some of the others mentioned are low wingers. Perhaps just considering that variable, does any one know if a low wing, shoulder wing or high wing is best? For example, would a WOT4 with a shoulder or low wing be more stable in high or gusty winds?

Advert

A low wing design will be much easier to handle on the ground in windy conditions. High wingers will always be prone to tipping on a wing tip, flipping over or ground looping, especially when forced to land/take off in turbulence or cross wind.