Meteor 60 ABC

jeff2wings

Got this from the 'bay out of interest ( and v/cheep !) this most likely is one of the last production run of this engine before they shut up shop sad

It has a ABC piston/liner setup that is in good condition ,nice castings but the crankshaft has a little problem I think................have a look at the pictures !

imga0994.jpg

well used

imga0995.jpg

imga0996.jpg

imga0997.jpg

first sign of trouble

imga0998.jpg

imga0999.jpg

ummmm.........................this is supposed to be a press fit crook !

Advert

There are a few possibilities all of which require a deal of patience and for you to decide if you actually want to use the engine again.

If you only want the engine as a paper weight, a drop of ca on the pin and push it back into the crankweb.

If you do want the engine to work then there are two possibilities, phone up the like of sussex model centre and ask if they have a spare crankshaft in their spares bin.

Advertise for one on the forums.

Or, if you have a lathe or have a mate with one, make a new crankpin out of high tensile steel, good quality allen head capscrews are a source of this. The crankpin will need to be stepped i.e. the portion that is to fit in the crankweb has to be at least 0.0015" in diameter bigger than the existing. Once the pin has been made, case harden it, look up the process on google, if all else fails use sugar as the carbon medium. Once finished pop the pin in the coldest part of your deep freeze and the crankshaft in your oven on the highest setting, if you aren't happy with that use one of those paintstrippers that blow hot air and lay the crankpin on some alloy foil over wood blocks set to concentrate the hot air on the crankshaft.

About 10 minutes ought to get it hot enough or, if the alloy foil underneath the part starts to melt it's hot enough.

Take the frozen pin and insert the correct end in the hole and press it home at least flush with the crankweb at the end that faces the prop.

You'll have made the engine workable again though you should note that even in their day they weren't renown as powerhouses. So if you have to spend money on it ask yourself do you really want to or should one mark it down to experience.

I suspect that the big end bearing has failed as well. When you make the crankpin, you can either replace the existing phosphor bronze bearing or ream it slightly and get the new crankpin sized to fit.

I think this engine will need more love than judgement to make it a worthwhile runner though. Personally, I would get it polished and then anodized then encapsulated in plastic and put it on the mantelpiece so the wife can throw it away when you are not looking.

Good luck

Martyn

Still probably got one hiding somewhere in the boxes that haven't been opened for the last two or three house moves. Mine last flew years ago on the front of an original Mick Reeves Gangster63, ran well enough, was an easy starter and throttled well too - not especially powerful for it's size/weight but it's reliability made up for everything else. Oh, and the front main bearing seal didn't, there was constant drip drip drip of castor - what with that and the rich running smokey exhaust, the Gangster went home absolutely filthy.

I think the suggestion to clean your Meteor up and make it into an ornament is the best so far.

Thanks for your replies chaps , BVC in particular ,although you have all missed the point of this exercise ,that is to restore the engine to ( near) its former glory ,the fact it’s not of great value ,or that it’s “not very powerful “ is not of importance ,there’s more to this hobby (for me) than just sticking bits of wood or foam together and covering them with plastic, and then dragging them through the air with i.c. ,e.p. or gravity you know !winklaugh

imga0001.jpg

the bearings are after cleaning in seviceable condition , front bearing of the unshelded type ,no wonder it leaked !

imga0038.jpg

the piston and conrod in very good condition with minimal ware

imga0036.jpg

as the crank pin was a (tight ) "running" fit , I just welded the pin in !

imga0993.jpg

carb striped ,cleaned and new o rings

imga0043.jpg

imga0044.jpg

imga0042.jpg

job done and ready to go in my collection