Editing software

I'm new to this Gopro malarkey, but can see that you can easily end up with gigabytes of data that just sit on your PC never to be seen again. Maybe much better to condense down into a 'movie' with added soundtrack etc.

Gopro Studio looks ok for a beginner like me, but was wondering what other people use? Is your chosen software intuitive and is it expensive?

Advert

Nothing at all wrong with the GoPro Studio software and it's free !!

When I incorporate my GoPro footage into other videos I use Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 17 (latest version upgrade from Version 15 a few weeks ago), this is not free sad.

Enjoy your editing as it adds a whole new dimension to the hobby.

Safe landings

Roger

Cheers Roger!

In Gopro Studio is it possible to 'stich' several videos files together to make a longer 'movie'? I'm taking the camera to France to film the D-Day commemerations and would like to burn the final movie onto a DVD. Unlike a 'normal' video camera which tags the next shot onto the previous one, the Gopro shoots one file at a time (I believe).

Sorry if this is all basic stuff to you Gopro pros!

• 2 weeks later...

I used iMovie 9 until recently but switched to Final Cut Pro X (a Mac man). It's an amazing piece of software, as simple or as complex as you want or need. They put together full movies with it but I'm happy putting my aerial stuff with some music

just getting into FPV with my Diamond 2500, and there's a DJI Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal on the way for some GoPro video

Rory

My Vimeo Channel

Edited By Rory Gillies on 26/05/2014 22:17:59

• 4 weeks later...

Sure is a beautiful place you fly Rory!

I've come back from Normandy with about 35gb of video files and want to edit them into something around 30 to 45 minutes long on my PC. I've started to use GoPro Studio but when I export the 5 minute long test file in HD it gives me a 8gb file!!! At this rate I'm looking for a minimum file size of 45gb for the finished item and that's without audio tracks! That's ginormous! How the heck to I share that with friends/family etc?

Is there a better way to do this? Better software editing prog perhaps? Do I need to settle for lower resolution? Is there a formatting that will be easier to work with but still retain quality? So many questions and I've only just started!!

Any advice will be most welcome.

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 20/06/2014 12:34:25:

Sure is a beautiful place you fly Rory!

I've come back from Normandy with about 35gb of video files and want to edit them into something around 30 to 45 minutes long on my PC. I've started to use GoPro Studio but when I export the 5 minute long test file in HD it gives me a 8gb file!!! At this rate I'm looking for a minimum file size of 45gb for the finished item and that's without audio tracks! That's ginormous! How the heck to I share that with friends/family etc?

Is there a better way to do this? Better software editing prog perhaps? Do I need to settle for lower resolution? Is there a formatting that will be easier to work with but still retain quality? So many questions and I've only just started!!

Any advice will be most welcome.

Hi Tony,

I've only used GoPro Studio a couple of times and only to process ProTune files, but I'd be very surprised if it can't export compressed video. I usually import the GoPro video clips directly into the video editing app (in my case iMovie and more recently Final Cut Pro X, both Mac applications). Not really sure about PC video editing apps, but I'd imagine most if not all all consumer suites will export compressed video. For example, you could import the GoPro Studio video into Windows Movie Maker (a free download from Microsoft) then save it as a .wmv file which will be much smaller, but not much use if any of your friends or family use a Mac!

I tend to work with 720p files which are perfect for sharing and viewing online but reasonably sized: e.g. a 06:52 minute video exported from iMove at 1280x720 is 526.4MB, a lot more friendly for uploading to Vimeo or YouTube than 8GB (or 45GB for that matter)!

Hope this helps a bit,

Rory

Edited By Rory Gillies on 22/06/2014 17:15:01

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks for all the info. thumbs up

I naively thought that I could shoot some video, cut and stitch it together and voila! I've got a movie. How wrong could I be? There seems to be a balancing act to be made between length, resolution and file type. Change one of these and you can go from a workable file size to one that is so big it creates a black hole inside your PC!

I might have a look at Cyberlink Power Director to see if its better than GP Studio. Its reasonably priced and looks like it will allow me to burn direct to DVD, although I expect that there will be a huge loss in quality.