Design & Build Short Stirling

Hi All,

I've managed to grab a couple of hours this morning and I have planked the nose loose fitted the fin and positioned the nose gun turret.

dsc09922 (800x533).jpg

For the gun turret I bought a canopy set for the TN Lancaster as I needed a new set of spinners as I have changed the props and in the process damaged the spinners in removing them. This left me with a set of turrets going spare, as luck would have it they were almost spot on in size. I have never made any canopies before but I am going to give it a go for the main cockpit and bomb aimers canopies.

dsc09931 (800x533).jpg

I have "over-planked" the cockpit area and will cut out when dry.

dsc09929 (800x533).jpg

This planking is straight forward compared to the Beaufighter necelles.

I have cut out for the tailplane but time ran out.

It's taking shape now and when fully sheeted and shaped will look good too. It's nearly as tall as me though.

That's all for now, chores to attend to, to keep on track for Christmas.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Just a very quick update

dsc09934 (800x533).jpg

Planking shaped and sanded, I'm going to put a shaped block over the top of the front turret. Top sheeting done and shaped tail group glued in a perfect fit this further increases my confidence as the tailplane needed only the slightest amount of adjustment when checking for alignment.

dsc09933 (800x533).jpg

Whilst I was waiting for the glue to dry on the tail i made these

dsc09935 (533x800).jpg

Just need to give another sanding down and fit the tail gunners block.

Next I'll sort out the snake run for the elevator and the closed loop for the rudder before closing the underside of the fuselage. The tail wheels will be steerable mounted on a removable ply plate.

That's all for now,

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments, though I did have to look up exactly what a "monocoque fuselage" was though.

Well I've finished the fuselage to a basic level and the snake and guide tubes are installed and the underside is sheeted, shaped and sanded down.

dsc09937 (533x800) (533x800).jpg

Elevator snake fitted

dsc09938 (800x533) (800x533).jpg

I used some off cuts of snake inners to act as guides for the rudder closed loop.

dsc00029 (800x533).jpg

All shaped and sanded

dsc00030 (800x533).jpg

Cross section showing the nose and cross grain sheeting.

I now need to start thinking about a couple of plugs for the canopies

Happy New Year to you all.

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

Just thought I show a size comparision between the Stirling and my 72" span Tony Nijhuis Lancaster both similar in scale.

dsc00033 (800x533).jpg

I had hoped to go flying today but with low cloud seems doubtful.

Hope to start the wings soon, a little unsure as to when I am due to start the building work / alterations on the house need to consult my better half.

Regards

Robert

Hi Dennis,

The picture was a wedding present from my wife, chosen by me of course.

I built the original Lanc or MK I version, but by the time I came to finish it, the MKII had been released so I bought the plans and made a few mods, it was too late as I had built most of the airframe by then, mainly the twin servos for the rudders and the brushless setup. I took 1 year to build it with 6 years confinement in the attic during the build, it was me not the build.

Hi Simon,

That was my intention, as most of the weight is in the wings all except the flight battery. I have added a ply 1/8th doubler to the fuselage above the cutout area, which the Lancaster does not.

Do you see a problem with structural strength?

I would welcome any advice from anyone as I'm new at the design part of our hobby.

The wing were going to have a dowel at the front and wing bolts at the rear as per Lancaster.

Regards

Robert

Robert

I suppose it comes from my paranoia about weight.

You have a nice deep fuselage yet you are going to cut a good 50% of its depth away at the point of maximum bending. smile o The strength of a beam is more or less proportional to the cube of the depth!

I am sure a substantial ply doubler will restore adequate strength but you might also have to consider some cross bracing between the doublers to restore the torsional stiffness of the fuselage. The doubler will also have to be carefully bonded to the Depron and go a reasonable distance beyond the wing cut out spread the load adequately.

It was one of the reasons I chose the Bombardier Q400. The wing is entirely outside the fuselage 'tube' so it could be made removable without compromising the fuselage strength and stiffness.

Hi Simon,

I am going to use a ply servo tray to act as bracing I will fit this when the build gets more advanced when I will have a better idea how the balance will be with the flight battery in position, however, no depron here, this is a trad build just good old fashioned balsa and ply.

With the cutout I did think about from the top but went for below the wing mainly for the aesthetics. The wing is about central in the fuselage so not much option. as for a two piece wing, I did not fancy the idea of it ( read as not too sure how to go about it so went for easy option).

Regards

Robert

Looking good Robert, as does the Lancaster! You could restore the cut away strength by making the cut out part bolt back in at the front and back after the wing is bolted on. If its a good joint to both the fuselage and the wing it would make an amply strong solution, with only a couple more bolts to attach.

Ian.

Hi All,

Thanks Reg, I might just do that makes a lot of sense.

My attention has moved away from the fuselage and onto the wings. I have cut out the ribs and made the first panel.

The ribs needed a little bit of tweeking, but overall a good fit. With weight on my mind both the stirling and looking at other plans namely my Beaufighter and Lancaster, the Beaufighter used 3/8sq balsa and the Lancaster has 1/4"sq obechi, I opted to go for balsa spars with the main spars being hard balsa 3/8"sq reducing down to 3/8" x 1/4" after the outer engine plus a 1/4"sq spar of hard balsa at two thirds cord. I have saved nearly 150 grams by doing so per panel that's nearly 11oz's saved. I hope it was a right decision.

dsc00055 (800x533).jpg

All paper ribs cut and stuck to balsa. I have paired them up so each panel has the same wood grade

dsc00056 (800x533).jpg

18 ribs per wing panel just need to notch out for the spars

dsc00057 (800x533).jpg

Check fitting of the ribs and ensuring that the engine bays and root rib are all at the correct angles

dsc00058 (800x533).jpg

And before you know it's done completed with leading edge.

When the assembly has dried I'll fit the shear webbing, cut out for the aileron and cut some holes for the cables which I should of done before I got the glue bottle out, easily sorted thankfully.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 11/01/2015 16:44:29

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I haven't done as much as I wanted too lately and this week looks no better with what work and other issues at home like trying to fix a laptop that keeps crashing every couple of minutes which is driving me nuts.

Still I have managed to drill the cable route holes in the wing, fit the sheer webbing and sheet the upper side.

dsc00069 (800x533).jpg

Just about used all my pins up.

I hope to remove from the board and start the next panel and have a peek at the nacelle construction.

That's all for now short and sweet.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I now have a pair of wing panels and have trial fitted them together.

dsc00079 (800x533).jpg

Setting out the second wing

dsc00080 (800x533).jpg

Fitting the dihedral braces

dsc00313 (800x533).jpg

Dry fitting of the wings and cut outs for the nacelles all 4 of em.

The nacelles will be next to do once I'm happy with the wing and glued it together. The outboard nacelles are fairly straight forwards being circular in section, in comparison with the inboard ones which change to straight sided for the undercarriage so there will be some head scratching to do on that one.

I want to build the core of the nacelles before sheeting the underside so I can do any "tweeking" if needed.

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

I have only just seen your build and I am really interested, my dad flew his first 24 missions as a W / Operator in a Stirling with 218 Sqdn.

Cant wait to see it finished and flying it looks fantastic, well done. smiley yes

Edited By Dave Dadson on 03/02/2015 13:37:01

Edited By Dave Dadson on 03/02/2015 13:37:52

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thank you Colin, yes this build has generated a lot of interest and I too can't wait to see it in the air, although I will be very nervous on the maiden flight, as well as a nose to nose photo of both my Stirling and Lancaster at the field.

Dave, very interesting to hear about your dad, has he told you any stories of his experiences in the Stirlings.

Progress has not been as quick as I would have liked sad due to work getting in the way and starting a new contract, which means I have to do a fair bit of work at home to bring me up to speed, and this one is only 10 weeks long so quite intense.

Putting work aside and back to the Stirlingsmileyafter carrying out a minor repair to my Extreme. I have joined the wings finally, trial fitted two of the nacelles, some of the parts of which needed to be amended slightly but I'm happy with them now.

dsc00465 (800x533).jpg

Wings joined and weighted down

dsc00464 (800x533).jpg

All of the parts for the nacelles. I photo copied the plans and cut out and stuck the pieces to the balsa and peel off the paper before gluing in place thumbs up

That's all for now.

Except, I will say that some top secret work secret has been going on in the background which I have been

keeping back from you all, to be revealed later gift.

Next will be dry fitting the nacelles in place and lining them up along with fitting the aileron servos, wiring for the motors and retracts and bottom sheeting.

Regards

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert and all of you,

I'm new on this forum. I live in south west France and I'm back to the hobby after 30 years spent working and caring family. Now I'm retired and have more time to dream.

One of my dreams was the building of a Short Stirling. When I started, I didn't know how mutch this plane was strange and that no one survived.

My building is based on the AMA plan (1/16 scale), but I noticed this plan is full of mistakes. I don't want to build strictly scale, but I have to correct a lot of things.

I started with the landing gear because this part was a chalenge and also because I have no room in the house for a workshop and can't start bigger parts.

Maybe some of you are interested in adding a retracting landing gear working like the real one, even if it is not strictly scale.

I can show you a few pictures as soon as I find how to do so.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby.

I have not come across the AMA plan.

Your prototype landing gear looks fantastic, you have certainly have put a lot of effort into making these units and spent a long time working out all of the mechanics of the gear.

What scale / size have you made them?

I'm interested in them, this was one area I was shying away from due to my lack of metal working skills also I'm just about ready to fit the retract units having this evening glued all of the nacelles in place.

Regards

Robert