eagle a3 super 3-axis sabilization

Phil 9

after trying out and being impressed by an orange stabilizer v2 I thought I would try something a little more sophisticated and have ordered an eagle a3 super. has anyone used this system

I think these type gadgets could be the way to go for club models

they can increase the range of wind conditions you can fly in. effective provide adjustable electronic dihedral (using the adjustable gain on the self levelling)

I have been buying bigger and bigger models in resent years to allow me to fly in winder conditions and have a more stable aircraft (remember the old saying bigger models fly better). Now you can have the same effect by electronically stabilising a smaller model.

Advert

Posted by Phil 9 on 30/05/2014 09:14:47:

I have been buying bigger and bigger models in resent years to allow me to fly in winder conditions and have a more stable aircraft (remember the old saying bigger models fly better). Now you can have the same effect by electronically stabilising a smaller model.

I recently bought the new Hobbyzone 'UMX Radian' which is definitely a smaller model, 28 inch wing span and weighing in at 1.5 ounces ... I think that constitutes it being both small and light.

I've flown it in flat calm conditions where of course it flies extremely well, but I've also flown it in a breeze (where I would not have attempted to fly the Hobbyzone Champ) and it has coped very well. The AS3X certainly makes a noticeable difference.

With models as small as only 1-2 ounces I think AS3X is doing something that a pilot can't do, it reacts so quickly and in away that I don't think even the most experienced pilot could hope to do. When we fly our models the only feedback we have is 'visual', and obviously it takes time for a model to react to flying conditions, and then for the pilot to 'see' that reaction and then make make a pilot input as a a result. Even with the most experienced pilot in the world this going to take time, where an onboard AS3X system can react so much quicker.

I know of a few instances of pilots of 'full size' aircraft trying to fly models and finding it more difficult than they expected. The comments are always the same and relate to 'feedback' from the model. If you are in a 'real' plane then there is immediate feedback both visually and from the gut (stomach!) about the aircraft attitude. With a model there is only the visual reference. I think that what AS3X systems do is introduce that 'gut' reaction to aircraft attitude which you simply can't get from visual reference only.

I know there are some who think the AS3X and similar system are some how de-skilling pilot ability. I don't see it that way, I think they are doing something that simply can't be done by the pilot in certain circumstances.   

Edited By avtur on 30/05/2014 13:16:14

I've got the Eagle A3 Pro installed in a model and it does smooth out the flight pattern. The 'Super' seems to have taken it all a stage further. As far as I can see, it will now accommodate twin ailerons channels and probably does much more.

Be interested to hear what you get it to do, Philthumbs up

Pete

My eagle super arrived in the post.

Well I can confirm it will accommodate twin ailerons and it will also accommodate twin elevator at the same time.

If you have spare channels you can control the gain and stabilisation mode from the TX

there are no switches on this module unlike the orange type. It come with a data cable and usb adaptor to setup using a program you download from the eagle website. It also comes with a program box so you can change the setting at the field without the need for a laptop.

you can set up to a three way switch to choose between 3 of the four modes

1. Off 2. Stabilisation 3. self levelling 4. 3D position hold

I have not tried a flight test yet

• 5 years later...

The main reason i am looking at this, is that i am new to RC flying & was hoping this would help, just to get me going with a club instructor. "training wheels" But also the club i am joining is 98% Spektrum users & the Spektrum gyro's are a fortune in comparison. "Like a lot of Spektrum" Link to a manual for the super 3.
I thought Bangood would be the best price, but ebay sells for around £25.00.

Edited By Christopher Morris 2 on 14/10/2019 07:48:23

Hi Denis, the V2 i believe is just a fail safe & not a gimbal to level the plane. Good point on the Lemon DSMX with a receiver built in. Plus i have heard good things on the Lemon products. But i do like the option of being to quite accurately program the super 3 with a laptop. Not a lot of good in the field "unless you take the laptop" but good fun.

Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 14/10/2019 07:47:22:

The main reason i am looking at this, is that i am new to RC flying & was hoping this would help, just to get me going with a club instructor. "training wheels" But also the club i am joining is 98% Spektrum users & the Spektrum gyro's are a fortune in comparison. "Like a lot of Spektrum" Link to a manual for the super 3.

It should help. I fly from a place that is a challenge to land and quite a short strip, and I want mine to smooth things out on landing. If I had a nice big flat smooth field I probably wouldn't bother..

Posted by Rich too on 14/10/2019 09:54:00:
Posted by Christopher Morris 2 on 14/10/2019 07:47:22:

The main reason i am looking at this, is that i am new to RC flying & was hoping this would help, just to get me going with a club instructor. "training wheels" But also the club i am joining is 98% Spektrum users & the Spektrum gyro's are a fortune in comparison. "Like a lot of Spektrum" Link to a manual for the super 3.

It should help. I fly from a place that is a challenge to land and quite a short strip, and I want mine to smooth things out on landing. If I had a nice big flat smooth field I probably wouldn't bother..

I am about to join the Kings Lynn club & was really imprest with the facilities they have & being Norfolk, we have lots of well looked after flat ground with the clubs landing area that is about an acre+,  with a couple of acres around the strip..

Edited By Christopher Morris 2 on 14/10/2019 10:59:27

Edited By Christopher Morris 2 on 14/10/2019 11:00:22