How to scrub up OS engine like new

Nigel Finch

Have just purchased a lovely OS46ax at a fantastic price.

New to this IC lark and need to clean the deposits etc off the outside to bring it back with the silencer to best possible condition before installation into the plane.

My knowledge is ZERO so any idiots guide to how, what to use etc very welcome.

thanks in advance

Advert

Posted by David Burrows on 12/06/2014 22:14:36:
Soda blasting will give you the brand new look but you do need a all the equipment
Another way I've seen done was to simmer the the engine parts in a pan with washing machine detergent

Just don't use one with a built in conditioner. cheeky

"Another way I've seen done was to simmer the engine parts in a pan with washing machine detergent"

Yes this does work but be careful not to make the solution too strong or leave the engine in it for too long because if you do it can discolour the alloy casting and though the engine will be clean, it goes black and still doesn't look good........... I found out the hard way! blush

Paul

• 2 months later...

I have cleaned loads of engines using a few techniques. The dishwasher is great but the soda in they tablets will eat the cleaner bits of alloy and the baked on fuel will act as a barrier and be slower to clean and therefore will give you a variable result plus you need to strip it if you can. Bead blasting is one of the best but it has to be GLASS beads or plastic media, all bearings will have to be removed and the castings will need a good blast with air or a hot soapy wash and a dry under the grill. By the way glass beads do not alter the sizes on the components as it doesn't remove any metal. Industrial hot washing works to and Trichloroethylene baths if they are still available

The following method is one I gleaned from a US mag' and it will clean solid engines. It is not for the faint hearted or careless types and does carry some risk but it works. You will need some anti freeze (Pure Glycol) an old saucepan some thin wire a small camping stove, leather gauntlets, goggles a wooden scraper and a wooden handled brush with non nylon bristles.

Take any plastic bits off the engine and tie a long - ish wire to a lug. Put it in the saucepan fold the wire over the side and cover with anti freeze. Place it on the lit stove in a safe out door area away from kids and pets and allow to boil for 20 minutes or so, don't breathe the vapour. when it's boiled gloves on and lift out the engine. Take care when it splashes the liquid acts lice liquid solder and bounces and is very hot. Test your engine with the wooden scraper to see if it's loosened the goo if it hasn't put it in for longer. You can put the engine in in component form if you wish. You can hold the motor with a pliers and brush the gunge off - always brush away from you. This method does not discolour the alloy in any way and leaves the engine as it would have been before it got gunged up.

When it's cold you can strip your motor to give it a wash out as above. You can leave the motor for days as glycol is also an inhibiter against rust. If you have a little splash just think what it must have been like to be a pilot with a shot up engine pouring glycol into your cockpit in WW2 ! TAKE CARE.