FPV Spanky flying circles round a DJI Phantom

Hi All,

Here is the first flight I have done using the Spanky around another quad, it was a beautiful day for flying apart from the wind but that didn't stop the fun. Its quite clear to see what footage was from our GoPro's compared to the Mobius shots but in its defence I had not balanced the props and had been mowing ferns with them on some speed passes which has produced a lot of jello effect.

I am joined by my friend who has a DJI Phantom with a Zenmuse 2D gimbal fitted with a GoPro Hero3+ Blk, he is flying LOS while I am having fun around him FPV style.

Best viewed full screen 1080p

Advert

Thank you all for your comments
Phil,
My FPV setup is..
Fatshark Attitude SD googles
Fatshark vTx and vRx
Skew Planar antenna
Sony PZ0420 FPV cam
The video link is rock solid even behind a few trees and bushes but I never try and go behind land/hills etc otherwise the video would break up very quickly. Its a very reliable and easy to use system.

Really beautiful !!!

I cannot avoid wondering how even more beautiful it could be for a weelchair bound person, kind of momentarily freeing her/him from his inability to move !

When I'll become a better pilot I think I'll volunteer with a local assocation of disabled kids to teach them and let them experience this !

Thanks for sharing

Hey Chris ! I can only be proud of you pinching this ! Go ahead matey !

Back in the years I flew on sailplanes with the enthusiastic support of my instructor I fought over bureaucracy at all level but our flight club was the first in Italy to modify a sailplane so it could be solo piloted by an ex motocross pilot which because of an accident was on a weel-chair and a few months later he was the first "disabled" certified pilot in my country !!! You can only imagine how the guy felt while flying aerobatics with our instructor !

Take care !

Robert

Well a lot easier than morphing with a Navii

I'd love to have an opinion on the setup you'd use for such a task. I'd say something not too pricey, with some serious self-leveling / stay-in-place capability and robust. Tx with a buddy lead would be useful / necessary ? Could you connect two visors to one video Tx ?

Thanks

PS Maybe we should open a dedicated thread to avoid hijacking this great video ?

New thread is probably a good idea.

To be honest I'm not going to use a quad. I have a Twinstar that's set up for FPV and I have a van with 240v output so what I was intending was to put my 42 inch telly in the back of the van and, for now to have one person use my goggles to give the fully immersive experiance with the others able to see the TV. I'll fly line of sight.

If its a hit ill buy one of the very cheap HK goggle sets for 17 quid and have the same setup but ably to go out a bit further. I'll then consider using a Wot4 and a buddy lead so they can have a go at a good hieght.

Little steps.

Sorry for my late reply, been a busy weekend.

FPV for the disabled would be excellent! such an amazing idea and I bet some kids/adults would get a rush of their life if placed in the hands of the right pilot.

Giving people demonstrations on your goggles while flying LOS can be fun but the view in the goggles is not the best as you use different angles etc when flying LOS as you can't see where the camera is pointing. I suggest you always fly FPV and have 2 spotters, one to keep constant VLOS on your plane/quad and the other to look after the passengers of your flight, weather they use some cheap goggles or your big screen they will have an excellent ride!.

I would suggest you do not let them fly unless you can spare the cash for a new model every trip instead have a laptop setup with an RC simulator, if they can take off and land the simulated model then I guess you could let them have a very little fly on your model while its already in the air using a 'buddy box'.

Amazing idea Robert

Good point about camera angles, but I'm not going to splash out on two sets of goggles till I see if it's appreciated. Fortunately I have a Black Pearl monitor so I guess I can use that, it's not ideal but it'll work for now.

I think, on further reflection that a Radian would be the best model for them to have a go with. I'm confident enough that depending on disability they wouldn't be able to get into enough trouble at height quickly enough that I wouldn't be able to recover it. But again, more expenditure that I'm not willing to rush out to spend just yet.

Very excited by this though.