er.. Hi

Hi then

First post here (clearly!)
I'm a BMFA A cert pilot practicing for my B test. I fly almost exclusively electiric models now, mostly "40" size and above. Mostly using A123 cells, Of which I have over 2 years experience of their remarkable advantages over LiPos. (And the odd disadvantage). Biggest model is a Ripmax 88" DH88 on, you guessed it, brushless and A123's. It is way over powered, but I learned a while ago to use that throttle stick thingy.

For my sins, I've been roped into being Social Secretary at Greenacres Model Aero Club in Walsall West Midlands. I also write their website Greenacres website .

I'm currently busy drumming up support for our 3 20th aniversary funflys this year. Anyone and everyone is invited and they promise to be great events, weather permitting. Plenty of details and photos of previous events are on the website. If anyone does come, seek me out and make yourself known.  Shameless plug over, sorry

Thanks Eric.

Good, bring it on. Its horses for courses in my opinion. A123s aren't a magic bullet for everything.
But get me going and I seem to get into soapbox mode about all their advantages.

I'm always up for an intelligent discussion. (Can't be doing with slanging matches mind you)
Hope the spell checker is good though, my spelling leaves a lot to be desired

It remains to be seen how often I can get on here, we'll see.

Hi Chris...and welcome aboard ! I spotted your flyins over on the events board, and wish you well with the events.

No argument from me, I - like yourself, just use what I like and having got into LiPo stuff around 4 or 5 yeras ago have amassed a fair few batteries and all the other gubbins that go with them. Have obviously read up on the A123s, and I know a few guys on here use 'em ( Danny, I think , is quite a fan )

Personally never felt the need to change from my faithfull  'ol LiPos. but as you say, nothing really has the absolute answer to everything, heck I even still use IC engines in some of my fleet and love em!

Thanks Timbo

I know Danny well, we fly together lol.

I'm desparately trying not to start my own crusade, honest. (Thank goodness for the delete key, I wrote loads just then).

Why not come to a funfly and see for yourself.
Many people have witnessed the 10 min charge, in the plane, and then a full 2200mAh at full power and have gone away very thoughtful.

Oh I have no doubt that they are good, and the fast recharge time may well be attractive to some, personally never had a problem with waiting times.... I have enough variety of models to keep me flying as much as I usually do and need the time to consume all the sticky buns and chit chat etc anyway

I am sure it is only a matter of time before I get sucked in to yet another "must have" load of gear

I will try and attend, and having spent most of my latter working years based in Wednesbury, I know the area

Was a frequent visitor to Mark Leavesley ( smashing bloke and great flyer too ) and his dad at Mikes models.

Flew at Worcester cub, and Eastnor castle was always on my modelling calendar, as was many a trip to the excellent and sadly lamented Goosedale. 

Fantastic. Look forward to seeing you. Hope you can make it.

Don't worry we won't be "preaching". I'm more than happy with anything that works these days.
And I've just ordered some Lipo's for the summer too.

Wednesbury is close, are you anywhere near these days? 

Yes, its a shame Mark left for the hills, he's flown jets at our funflys a few times.

My ears were burning.......... It would be great if you could make it Timbo. The weather is going to be fantastic so I will buy you an icecream in return for all that leccy help when I was just getting started "smoke Charming".

If you wear your thumbs the right way around you can try the watt4 on A123's

Danny

Apologies before I start, I just have to make another comment about A123's.

Tonight I got round to a job I've been thinking about for a while. Amongst other tweaks, I swapped out a battery in my MK Alliance pattern ship. Took out a 2 year old very abused battery and put in a brand new one. Then i did some power tests. I'd changed the prop too to give me a bit more speed. So comparisons aren't quite direct.

The old battery has flown hundreds of flights, been crashed, and bent. Its been tested to 120A and flattened to 0V by leaving a test load on too long 3 times! It's still been flying the plane fine.

The old battery tested as follows, with a 800KV motor, 12x6 Prop and 7S:-
 Volts down to 19.7V while 43A was being drawn. This giving 840W.

With the new battery in, I have fitted a 12x8 prop and as expected the current draw was increased:-
Volts now down to 19.2V while 49A was being drawn. This giving over 950W.

I'm putting the increase down to the change of prop.

What I'm amazed about is how the old battery is standing up after all I've done to it!

Well I am sorry!    But after constanly using these for 2 years, I really didnt think they would surprise me again!
Theres nothing like a bit of banter to get me going, you've asked for it now!

Great news (or is it rumour) is that hot on the heels of the 1000mAh A123's, there are very soon to be flat, rectacular ones in other useful sizes like 3300.

By the way, A123 are also producing replacement batteries for the Toyota Prius which boost performance so much that Toyota are concerned about their motors!. This converts the car to a "plug in" that can charge at home and run on batteries. (its on bloomberg)

They are power of choice now in many Robotwars robots and the power the record breaking killacycle (its on youtube)

Argghh no.. I cant stop..

Oh yes - ""Repent - The end of the world is nigh...  "
Oh and I must ring my broker...

I must appologise for my friend, we usually keep him well medicated.

We don't usually let him play with confusers as he just joins forums and tries to get us all to fly electric

We aren't all mad at Greenacres, honest.........he did get a little incensed yesterday however when I suggested i was going to get a petrol engine